Etihad Stadium

Next Game

Man City v Chelsea

Sunday, 21 September 2014, 16:00

Barclays Prem

Allianz Arena

Last Game

Bay Munich 1 - 0 Man City

Wednesday, 17 September 2014, 19:45

Champions League Group E

Berlusconi apologises to Mario

AC Milan president Silvio Berlusconi has apologised for the "rotten apple" label he gave Mario Balotelli last week.

Last Updated: 15/01/13 at 16:06 Post Comment

Mario Balotelli: Has received an apology of sorts from AC Milan president Silvio

Mario Balotelli: Has received an apology of sorts from AC Milan president Silvio

At the Ballon d'Or ceremony, Berlusconi said of the Manchester City striker and reported Milan transfer target: "The name of Balotelli never came into my thoughts. He is a rotten apple and could infect every group where he goes, even Milan."

Speculation had been rife that the former Inter Milan player could be returning to the San Siro to play for the Rossoneri and thus ending his tumultuous two-and-a-half year stay at City.

But while Berlusconi was happy to say sorry for his perceived insult, he stopped short of claiming that Milan retained an interest in the Italy international.

"What I said was based on the fact that I feel positive people are useful in the changing room," he told Sky Italia.

"I was not referring to Balotelli and I apologise if it was taken as a slur against him.

"Could he still come to Milan? No-one from my club has held any talks with him, and neither (vice-president Adriano) Galliani or I have identified him as a transfer target."

But Berlusconi is keen to bring in new signings in January to replace Alexandre Pato, who has already left for Corinthians, and fellow Brazilian forward Robinho.

Asked if Milan would add to their squad, he said: "I hope so. I am pestering Galliani because there are a few players I would like us to sign, ones we could bring in by the end of January.

"I won't name names, I've been told not to. Galliani told me, 'President, don't name names if you want us to succeed'."

Berlusconi also confirmed that under-pressure coach Massimiliano Allegri is likely to stay at the club next season.

He added: "The relationship with him will continue in the future. He has a contract for next season too."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

H

ilarious, thanks for that. But if I may, I do suspect the reason of your partners' ire is not Tottenham, but most probably all the compusilve gambling :)

DannySmith
Backing Costa To Keep Banging 'Em In

T

wo police horses in a paddock. Horse 1: What's with the long face? Horse 2: I'm working St James Park this weekend.

hump3.
Pardew braced for protests

T

wo things. First, I can't stop reading your name as 'Dane Bowers'. Second, you used the words 'philosophy' and 'Redknapp' in the same sentence.

ajsr1982
Can United's Defence Handle Ulloa?

Footer 365

Premier League: Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal wary over a lack of European football

Louis Van Gaal believes a lack of Champions League football this season could damage Manchester United’s title hopes.

Premier League: Man City manager Manuel Pellegrini not concerned by Yaya Toure's form

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has no concerns over the form or commitment of midfielder Yaya Toure.

Transfer news: Chelsea's Jose Mourinho plays down Cristiano Ronaldo transfer talk

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has played down speculation about signing Cristiano Ronaldo.

Mail Box

Be Careful What You Wish For, Gooners

That's the message from a Man United fan in the mailbox. Plus, thoughts on Paul Lambert's new contract, the Alan Pardew dilemma at Newcastle and lots more...

No, Wenger IS To Blame For Failure...

The backlash to the backlash to the backlash sees Arsene Wenger getting a good kicking while we also have mails on Chelsea, Newcastle, Everton and lots more...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property