Next Game

Melbourne Victory v Man City

Saturday, 18 July 2015, 08:00

Friendly Match

Santos offer Neymar new deal

Santos vice-president Odilio Rodrigues has denied rumours Barcelona have agreed a deal with Neymar and confirmed the club have opened talks over a new contract.

Last Updated: 27/02/13 at 13:48 Post Comment

Neymar: Could extend his contract at Santos

Neymar: Could extend his contract at Santos

The Brazilian superstar is one of football's hottest properties and has been linked with a move to some of Europe's biggest clubs in recent months.

Manchester City, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid have all been credited with an interest in the 21-year-old in the past, while rumours suggested Barcelona had come to an agreement to take him to the Nou Camp.

Earlier this month Barca full-back Dani Alves, an international team-mate of Neymar, urged the striker to make the move to the Catalan giants.

Santos have always insisted the forward will remain at the club until at least after the 2014 World Cup, due to be held in Brazil.

The club have now revealed they have opened negotiations over a new extended deal for the forward, playing down the earlier comments by Alves.

"The club's managing committee has already decided, we intend to extend his [Neymar's] contract beyond 2014, we are working to make that happen," Rodrigues told UOL.

"We have already opened talks with Neymar's father, who denies there is any kind of agreement [with Barcelona] and we believe him. He said Neymar will be where he is happy.

"The news from Daniel Alves isn't anything new, Neymar is being sold every day, there is always news that he has been sold.

"They even say that Santos has received some money. It's very common, but there is no negotiation between Santos and any other club."

Brazilian legend Pele has also spoken out about Neymar's future, saying he should ignore any offers from England or Germany.

The three-time World Cup winner believes Neymar's game would be better suited to a move to Spain, with Barcelona his preferred destination.

"The problem is not the city that he goes to, it is where the best conditions for him will be,"said the 72-year-old.

"In England, Germany or Italy the game is harder. The referees are more accustomed to letting the play go on. Barcelona would be ideal for him.

"Santos do need him and for that reason I do not think he should push to leave, but when the time comes for both parties he should only join Barca."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

T

his is all good fun, but anyone who thinks United are 4th best in England for anything more than a blip is properly f***ing mental. And Domenech is properly f***ing mental.

megabrow (cufc)
Schneiderlin must join United - Domenech

I

f the answer is Matt Phillips, the question should never be Who is one of your major transfer targets?

jelasfirsttouch
The Twosome Gossip

I

s this Chris Smalling playing the 'Race' card?

hump3.
Smalling wants United race

Footer 365

Barcelona sign Arda Turan from Atletico Madrid

Barcelona have announced a deal to sign Atletico Madrid midfielder Arda Turan.

Koeman: Utd Schneiderlin bid 'not serious'

Ronald Koeman says Southampton are yet to hear back from Manchester United since rejecting a bid for Morgan Schneiderlin that "wasn't serious".

Benzema facing uncertain future at Real

Real Madrid boss Rafa Benitez is reportedly planning to play Cristiano Ronaldo as a lone striker in a move which could sideline Karim Benzema.

Mail Box

Van Persie: Really Expensive Wallpaper

He was bought to cover the cracks that nearly brought down the house, says one Man United fan. We also have mails on Brendan, the WWC, Aguero and...

Farewell Robin, You Were Wonderful

One Mailer looks back fondly at Robin van Persie's time at Old Trafford as he nears the exit. Plus Turkish delights, being inspired, David Ospina, handballs & decisions...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company