Etihad Stadium

Next Game

Man City v Chelsea

Sunday, 21 September 2014, 16:00

Barclays Prem

Allianz Arena

Last Game

Bay Munich 1 - 0 Man City

Wednesday, 17 September 2014, 19:45

Champions League Group E

Pellegrini rejected Prem duo

Manuel Pellegrini has revealed he rejected the chance to take the Manchester City and Liverpool managers' jobs earlier in his career.

Last Updated: 11/07/13 at 12:18 Post Comment

Manuel Pellegrini: Turned down City and Liverpool

Manuel Pellegrini: Turned down City and Liverpool

City's hierarchy this summer identified Pellegrini as the boss they believed was best equipped to help deliver on a stated ambition of winning five trophies in the next five seasons.

Yet he might already have been in place had former owner Thaksin Shinawatra lured him from Villarreal in 2007 before turning to Sven-Goran Eriksson.

And that was not 59-year-old Pellegrini's only flirtation with a job in England, with Liverpool also apparently interested three years ago.

In 2010, after Rafael Benitez left Anfield, Pellegrini was available following his dismissal by Real Madrid but Malaga proved his next destination.

The Chilean said: "I had twice chances to arrive here before. One was to Manchester City but with the other owners, not these owners.

"Liverpool, I was very near, after Real Madrid, to arrive at Liverpool. But for different things, it was not the moment. Now it is the right moment with the right club."

More than trophies

Pellegrini left Malaga to succeed Roberto Mancini at Etihad Stadium after the Italian was sacked in May just a year after guiding the club to their first league title in 54 turbulent years.

The Italian had also won the FA Cup the previous year and still managed to finish runner-up in both competitions last season - only for that not to be deemed good enough by the City hierarchy.

He said: "I am not concerned about that. I am here, it is not only to win trophies - the Premier League, the FA Cup or the Champions League. I am here to work with young players and the professional team.

"Winning trophies is important but it is not just about that."

City have spent close to £45million this summer on two new players in Fernandinho and Jesus Navas and the spending is set to continue with several other players linked.

Yet Pellegrini is well aware the club need to curtail their spending and sustain their strength through their own youth system in the future.

He said: "As a coach, of course we always want immediate success. We are trying to have a strong squad in all positions. If that will bring us trophies, perfect - we have more chances to win that way.

"But in the same way we are working with young players and we will continue

to. It is impossible every year to buy three, four, five players.

"We need a mix with young players. We need to work exactly the same with the under-21s and the first team.

"A lot of things I think will be improved. From what Roberto and all the other coaches of Manchester City have done over the years, we will continue."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

H

ilarious, thanks for that. But if I may, I do suspect the reason of your partners' ire is not Tottenham, but most probably all the compusilve gambling :)

DannySmith
Backing Costa To Keep Banging 'Em In

T

wo police horses in a paddock. Horse 1: What's with the long face? Horse 2: I'm working St James Park this weekend.

hump3.
Pardew - It's mass hysteria

T

wo things. First, I can't stop reading your name as 'Dane Bowers'. Second, you used the words 'philosophy' and 'Redknapp' in the same sentence.

ajsr1982
Can United's Defence Handle Ulloa?

Footer 365

Transfer news: Chelsea's Jose Mourinho plays down Cristiano Ronaldo transfer talk

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has played down speculation about signing Cristiano Ronaldo.

Premier League: Everton striker Samuel Eto'o convinces Roberto Martinez

Everton manager Roberto Martinez believes Samuel Eto'o is ready to be the starting striker.

Transfer news: Mario Balotelli wanted AC Milan exit, says CEO Adriano Galliani

AC Milan CEO Adriano Galliani has confirmed that Mario Balotelli wanted to leave the club for Liverpool this summer.

Mail Box

Be Careful What You Wish For, Gooners

That's the message from a Man United fan in the mailbox. Plus, thoughts on Paul Lambert's new contract, the Alan Pardew dilemma at Newcastle and lots more...

No, Wenger IS To Blame For Failure...

The backlash to the backlash to the backlash sees Arsene Wenger getting a good kicking while we also have mails on Chelsea, Newcastle, Everton and lots more...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property