Anfield

Next Game

Liverpool v Man City

Thursday, 31 July 2014, 00:00

Friendly Match

Last Game

Man City 5 - 1 AC Milan

Sunday, 27 July 2014, 21:00

Friendly Match

In-form Nasri pleases Pellegrini

Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini has been impressed by Samir Nasri's form but will continue to demand high standards from the Frenchman.

Last Updated: 28/09/13 at 12:51

Samir Nasri: Lost his way last season

Samir Nasri: Lost his way last season

Nasri has figured prominently in the past month and was particularly impressive in last weekend's 4-1 derby destruction of Manchester United at the Etihad Stadium, in which he scored his second goal of the season.

On the whole Nasri's performances since his £24million move from the Gunners in 2011 have been mixed and an underwhelming first half of last season led to some severe criticism from former manager Roberto Mancini.

Mancini even said at one point that he could "punch" the 26-year-old, such was the Italian's frustration with the player's erratic form.

But Nasri appeared to have turned that around with some strong displays in the closing weeks of the 2012-13 campaign and that resurgence has carried over into the Pellegrini era.

Pellegrini said: "I don't talk about what happened in the past but in this moment Nasri is playing very well.

"I talk often with him because I know how much he can do as a big player.

"His performances I am always evaluating and he knows he must play the way I know he can.

"If he doesn't do it maybe we have other choices but Nasri is absolutely committed with the team and with me, and with all the other players.

"We hope we will see a great Nasri the whole year.

"He is a player that has great technical quality and he works in the game a lot - not only in the last 25 metres.

"He runs back and makes passes. He is a very creative player."

Another player hoping to reassert himself this season, but for different reasons, is defender Micah Richards.

The City youth product was a key component of the 2011-12 Premier League title success playing at right-back but his last campaign was ravaged by injury.

The 25-year-old made just eight appearances last term due to ankle and knee problems.

In his absence Pablo Zabaleta established himself as first-choice right-back but Richards is now fit again and ready to challenge for a place.

It had been suggested Richards could move to a place in the centre, due to Zabaleta's brilliance, but both player and manager are focusing on the wide role.

Richards said in an interview this week he was concentrating on right-back and Pellegrini agrees, saying: "At centre-back we have (Vincent) Kompany, (Matija) Nastasic, (Joleon) Lescott and Martin Demichelis.

"Maybe in an emergency he can play there but his natural position is right-back.

"At right-back we have just two players, Zabaleta and Micah Richards. I think it is the best use for us."

Richards made an impressive first appearance of the season after overcoming his latest injury setback in Tuesday's 5-0 Capital One Cup win over Wigan.

Pellegrini said: "He came back from a long injury and he played really well.

"He is an important defender. When he is fit he will have options to play because Pablo played the last six games. I think it is good for whole team."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

think all those names linked to United exits make sense. Kagawa has never really looked like hitting the form he had at Dortmund and Fellaini is radioactive after last season (even though I think he's been unfairly singled out for criticism). Nani and Anderson have had more than their fair share of chances so they are done, and Hernandez deserves better than warming a bench.

ted, manchester
The Insecure Gossip

H

e'll be off to Spurs (or better) in January and I don't blame him. Looking forward to re-signing Grant Holt as his replacement though.

notalentjones
Benteke ignoring speculation

I

n fairness, he does look absolutely shattered in that photo.....

FairyNuff
Shaw told to shape up

Footer 365

Premier League: Ross Barkley signs new four-year contract at Everton

Everton midfielder Ross Barkley has signed a new four-year deal with the club.

Transfer News: Southampton's chairman says Jay Rodriguez and Morgan Schneiderlin will stay

Jay Rodriguez and Morgan Schneiderlin will not be sold, according to Southampton chairman Ralph Krueger.

Transfer News: Reported Manchester United target Arturo Vidal 'happy' to stay at Juventus

Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri is convinced Arturo Vidal will remain with the club for the forthcoming season.

Mail Box

Youth Development Has To Be The Future

A varied Mailbox has thoughts on transfer targets, youth development, the obsession over 3-5-2, some innovative Blackpool suggestions and why Real bought Kroos...

Don't You Worry About Southampton...

We can't help but agree with one mailboxer who tries to calm the crisis-mongers gathering around Southampton, while we have mails on Man United's squad...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property