Although Fulham boss Martin Jol rejected reports that a move for the unsettled striker was imminent, his Villa counterpart Paul Lambert confirmed on Thursday that Bent's transfer would go through barring any hitch with fitness checks in London.
"He's just away down to Fulham," said Lambert. "I think it's well-documented now that he's down there having a medical and that's the last I've heard."
Bent was the subject of a £4m bid from the Cottagers earlier in the summer, which was rejected by Villa, but the two clubs have reached an agreement with a view to a season-long loan.
It is also a big blow for Crystal Palace who had looked favourites to snare the 29-year-old.
Bent was a peripheral figure for Aston Villa last season, often left on the sidelines with Christian Benteke making his mark in Lambert's side.
And with new attacking options now available to Lambert, the Villa boss has opted to offload the striker they bought in January 2011 for around £24m from Sunderland.
Lambert has, though, insisted there is no ill-feeling with Bent.
"There's never (been a spat)," he said. "Not one cross word. I don't know where people get that from. There's never been a cross word. That's football."
Jol has been desperate for a goalscorer to take some of the pressure off last season's leading man, Dimitar Berbatov, and Bent's acquisition will be great news for him and the south London fans on the eve of a new Premier League season.