Wigan failed in Montero bid

Monarcas Morelia sporting director Ramon Heriberto Morales has confirmed the club rejected an offer from Wigan Athletic for Jefferson Montero.

Last Updated: 01/02/13 at 09:00 Post Comment

Jefferson Montero: Former Villarreal winger was wanted by Wigan

Jefferson Montero: Former Villarreal winger was wanted by Wigan

The Ecuador international had been strongly linked with a move to Wigan after being compared to his compatriot Antonio Valencia, who had previously enjoyed success at the DW Stadium.

Wigan reportedly wanted to sign Montero on an initial loan deal, while Real Betis also launched a bid for the 23-year-old.

However, Morales says Wigan's offer was not good enough for a player who only joined Morelia from Villarreal last summer.

"Five days ago we had been approached asking for the player," Morales told the Mexican media. "We spoke with him, he knew about it, but the offer wasn't good.

"We thanked Wigan but we decided not to accept it, and that's all. Then, there wasn't a new proposal.

"The situation stood there, some days went by and, with Montero, we were clear that the proposal wasn't worth it.

"Wigan wanted the player for six months, but what they offered was much less than what Betis offered, so we decided not to take it.

"Montero is a player of great quality and we are not going to give him away just like that. He is one of the most important players of our team."

To find out more about live football on Sky sports, Click here

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

m concerned as I have swore at football matches and whilst watching football on the TV. Am I also in line for an FA charge?

mufc phil
Wilshere charged by FA

I

m a big Rafa fan, but when he substitutes Ronaldo after 60 minutes of his first game, which Real draw 1-1, I don't see the Real fans being patient. He'll be gone before October is out.

the tree
Rafa quiet on Sterling and De Gea

W

hy no blog? that's my summer ruined. Can someone start a petition on change.org please?

myyoot
The New Dawn Gossip

Footer 365

Chuck Blazer admits facilitating acceptance of bribes at FIFA

FIFA whistleblower Chuck Blazer has admitted facilitating the acceptance of bribes over the awarding of the 1998 and 2010 World Cups.

FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke insists he is not guilty

FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke insists he is not guilty of any corrupt practices and sees no reason to stand down.

Benitez emotional at Real unveiling

Rafael Benitez refused to discuss Real Madrid's apparent interest in Raheem Sterling and David de Gea at his Bernabeu unveiling on Wednesday.

Mail Box

Does Anybody Care About Russia?

Do any of us really care about the decision to give the 2018 World Cup to Russia? We're not sure anybody does. We have mails on Blatter, Rafa and lots more...

Celebrate Good Times, But Hard Work Starts Now

The Mailbox is joyous over the impending departure of Sepp Blatter, but offers a reminder that problems remain. Plus title winners, CL play-offs and Nigel Adkins...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company