Upton Park

Next Game

West Ham v Tottenham

Saturday, 16 August 2014, 15:00

Barclays Prem

Last Game

West Ham 1 - 3 Sydney FC

Saturday, 26 July 2014, 03:00

Friendly Match

Coleman unsure on Wales deal

Chris Coleman has thrown his Wales future into doubt again after claiming he is prepared to walk away from a new deal.

Last Updated: 04/10/13 at 12:38 Post Comment

Chris Coleman: May not sign new Wales deal

Chris Coleman: May not sign new Wales deal

Prior to last month's World Cup qualifiers against Macedonia and Serbia, Coleman had agreed terms on a further two-year stint in charge.

But back-to-back defeats, which saw Wales slump to the bottom of Group A, mean the deal remains unsigned.

Football Association of Wales chief executive Jonathan Ford recently suggested results in the upcoming qualifiers against the Macedonians and Belgium will be taken into consideration before anything is finalised.

Coleman, who claimed judging him on two games was an example of short-termism, suggested he was no longer certain he would sign the contract himself, having held a meeting with FAW chiefs on Monday.

"The contract is still there, it has not been signed, ideally it would have been," he said.

"I have seen comments that I will be judged going into these games. If that's the case, that's not right, surely it has got to be about the bigger picture, but it's not right to sign the contract now."

He added: "We spoke on Monday at length but more on how it had gone in the campaign, what my experiences were, stuff going forward for the next campaign. What we want to be doing. No targets were set.

"The perception now is not good. If we beat Macedonia, everything will be rosy.

"People outside might say 'well Chris can sign the contract now', but maybe I won't.

"I don't know looking at it myself. I'm going 'Can I do what I really want to do? Can I achieve the success I am desperate for the country to achieve?'"

Collins confusion

Coleman also used the announcement of his squad to stand firm on the issues surrounding James Collins' no-show for last month's fixtures.

Following Wales' 3-0 home defeat at the hands of Serbia, Coleman criticised Collins, claiming the centre-half had turned down the chance to join up with the squad.

Collins responded with a statement in which the 30-year-old insisted he would not have turned down the chance to represent his country, and he had not heard from the FAW about a potential call-up.

However, Coleman rubbished that suggestion, and clarified Collins had been invited to join the squad, having missed out on the initial selection, prior to the game in Macedonia, and not just for the Serbia fixture.

"He wasn't in the initial squad. We called him up because we had a pull-out. I sent a message through (FAW international secretary) Mark Evans and he refused to be considered for the squad," said Coleman.

"I called James up and he told me mentally he wasn't in the right frame of mind to come because he felt he should have been in the initial squad. I told him my disappointment on that.

"After that, we contacted him on the Sunday (between the Macedonia and Serbia games), we contacted him at 3pm.

"We got a call back at 8pm on the Monday night. James said his phone was broke or someone dropped the phone in water. That's what happened.

"Unless I was speaking to the wrong person when I called him up, and unless someone contacted our secretary Mark and it wasn't James, then I can't say anything else."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

think all those names linked to United exits make sense. Kagawa has never really looked like hitting the form he had at Dortmund and Fellaini is radioactive after last season (even though I think he's been unfairly singled out for criticism). Nani and Anderson have had more than their fair share of chances so they are done, and Hernandez deserves better than warming a bench.

ted, manchester
The Insecure Gossip

H

e'll be off to Spurs (or better) in January and I don't blame him. Looking forward to re-signing Grant Holt as his replacement though.

notalentjones
Benteke ignoring speculation

I

n fairness, he does look absolutely shattered in that photo.....

FairyNuff
Shaw told to shape up

Footer 365

Premier League: Yaya Toure happy to stay at Manchester City

Yaya Toure has reaffirmed his commitment to Manchester City, insisting he wants to stay for "as long as possible".

Champions League: Henning Berg hopeful of Legia Warsaw's chances against Celtic

Legia Warsaw boss Henning Berg hopes his side can get a positive result against Celtic in their Champions League tie.

Premier League: Ross Barkley signs new four-year contract at Everton

Everton midfielder Ross Barkley has signed a new four-year deal with the club.

Mail Box

Youth Development Has To Be The Future

A varied Mailbox has thoughts on transfer targets, youth development, the obsession over 3-5-2, some innovative Blackpool suggestions and why Real bought Kroos...

Don't You Worry About Southampton...

We can't help but agree with one mailboxer who tries to calm the crisis-mongers gathering around Southampton, while we have mails on Man United's squad...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property