The Hawthorns

Next Game

W Brom v Man City

Monday, 10 August 2015, 20:00

Barclays Prem

Anelka's future uncertain

West Brom striker Nicolas Anelka may have played his last game after he was banned for five matches for performing the controversial 'quenelle' gesture.

Last Updated: 28/02/14 at 12:40

Anelka: Banned for five games by the FA and suspended by West Brom

Anelka: Banned for five games by the FA and suspended by West Brom

An independent regulatory commission banned the 34-year-old for five matches, fined him £80,000 and ordered him to attend an education course after ruling he did breach the Football Association's code of conduct by making the gesture at West Ham in December.

The 'quenelle' has been associated with anti-Semitism by some French politicians, and the panel also upheld the FA's charge that his rule breach "included a reference to ethnic origin and/or race and/or religion or belief".

Significantly, the ruling cleared Anelka of any anti-Semitic motivation, a part of the verdict which was welcomed by the player, had argues his gesture was anti-establishment, and done in support of his friend Dieudonne M'bala M'bala, the comedian who first brought the 'quenelle' to prominence.

This has not stopped West Brom suspending the 34-year-old pending the outcome of any appeal and the conclusion of their own internal investigation.

And with the Baggies having only 11 more matches to play this season, this could signal the end of the career of Anelka, whose contract with the club ends in the summer and has previously hinted at retirement.

Former FA chief executive Mark Palios believes the suspension will have an impact on Anelka's career and also acts as the chief deterrent against racism.

"At the top of the game it is difficult to impose a financial deterrent which is seen as reasonable when you consider the remuneration these guys get," Palios told Sky Sports News.

"The main deterrent is the extent of the suspension and the knock-on effect on Anelka's employment at his club. It is the impact on his career outside of the specifics of the case."

The five-match ban is the minimum that can be imposed for such an offence and while being welcomed by anti-racism groups it has also been criticised for not going far enough.

Palios believes the punishment will discourage the use of the 'quenelle' gesture in English football but says judgement should be reserved on whether the ruling is seen as a success for the FA's new anti-racism rules, which were introduced last year following criticism of the way the organisation handled cases involving Luis Suarez and John Terry.

If you look at this and the outcome; people will not make the gesture on the pitch, on the platform that is professional football in England, which is televised around the world," added Palios.

"I think it will only be determined a triumph when we see the written reasons and understand why they feel Anelka did not intend to make the gesture and yet found him guilty."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

t's a bloody good goal, though. Sh!t, the kid's gonna be the worlds best before we know it, isn't he? He's got the touch of genius in him. Like Neymar, but with muscles and stuff. He's doing a Ronaldo as we watch. He's bulked up to be able to ride the tackles, but he's improved technically as well. His touch is sublime. Bugger.

HarryBoulton
WATCH: Hazard's stunning goal

A

hhh, Jose arguing with another managers wife, clearest sign yet that we are going mental during the close season. I am rocking back and forth on my haunches.

hump3.
Jose hits back at Rafa's wife

I

t's only a matter of time before one of them throws in a yo mamma

lee
Jose hits back at Rafa's wife

Footer 365

Chelsea fail with £25m bid for Everton's John Stones

Everton have rejected an improved bid of £25m from Chelsea for centre-half John Stones, according to Sky sources.

Jose: 'Cabaye move makes PL harder'

Jose Mourinho claims the transfer of players like Yohan Cabaye to mid-table clubs makes the PL "very, very hard" to win.

Real reopen talks over £28m De Gea deal

Real Madrid have reportedly reopened negotiations with Manchester United over David de Gea and may complete a deal in the coming days.

Mail Box

Mails: This Is My Perfect Moment

Lots of Mailboxers channel their inner Martine McCutcheon to bring you their perfect footballing moments. Plus thoughts on Blatter, names, and Chelsea worries...

Mails: Let's Talk About Jose's Failures...

We don't talk about them because Chelsea won the title...but imagine if LVG or Brendan Rodgers had signed Juan Cuadrado. Plus, a trawl through the squads...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company