Hughes won't contest FA charge

Stoke boss Mark Hughes has confirmed he will not contest his Football Association charge of improper conduct.

Last Updated: 30/12/13 at 19:09 Post Comment

Mark Hughes: Accepts FA charge

Mark Hughes: Accepts FA charge

The Welshman was sent to the stands during Stoke's 5-1 defeat to Newcastle on Boxing Day after reacting angrily to the sending-off of Glenn Whelan.

Hughes, who is likely to face a fine, has until Thursday to answer the charge but confirmed he will accept it.

He said: "I got pulled up on the fact I kicked a ball onto the pitch. That's a fact, so there's no way around it. I can't really defend that, that's what I did. If that's what the issue is, I'm going to have to hold my hands up."

Whelan's red card was swiftly followed by another for Marc Wilson, and Hughes was highly critical of the performance of referee Martin Atkinson.

Potters chairman Peter Coates said the club would be making an official complaint about Atkinson's display, but Hughes will take his punishment.

Hughes said: "Everybody has their own opinions but you just want performance levels to be at a good level.

"We're all judged on our performances - managers, coaches, players, and referees are judged as well. We just want good performances from everybody involved in the game.

"Over the last couple of days I've looked at certain incidents in some games in comparison to some of the decisions that went against us, and there were anomalies.

"At the moment a number of key moments in games have gone against us so we'd like that to change in the New Year.

"We're going to make representations to certain bodies because I think it's important that we don't just take it lying down. We feel as a club a little bit aggrieved by what we've gone through."

Hughes, meanwhile, was downbeat about the chances of significant additions to his squad arriving in the January transfer window.

A striker is the Stoke boss' priority, but he revealed no deals are close to being done after they were denied a work permit for USA international Juan Agudelo last month.

Hughes said: "There's nothing definite I can say that's in the pipeline for us at the moment. It may be a long window for us. We'd like to think we can do something."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

N

ow is the time for Allardyce to finally get a chance at a big club please. He is likely to have a number of great offers for his services this summer, but who will he choose? Will it be Liverpool, Real Madrid, Dortmund or Man City?

medina_sod
Allardyce leaves West Ham

I

thought exactly this when the Match of the Day pundits were peddling this line. Is it really not okay for fans of a club to have some ambition these days then?

damoceltic
Bored Of Big Sam? It's Your Right...

H

ow magnanimous off him - to leave if he's asked to by the owners? What's the alternative, bunker down in his office claiming squatter's rights if FSG want rid?

feed the bear
Rodgers: I'll go if owners want

Footer 365

Eden Hazard is open to another 10 years at Chelsea

Eden Hazard wants to stay at Chelsea for years and join football's elite by leading the club to Champions League glory.

Rafael Benitez '99 per cent' certain to be next Real Madrid boss

Rafael Benitez is '99 per cent' certain to be Real Madrid boss, says Carlo Ancelotti's representative Ernesto Bronzetti.

Manuel Pellegrini confident Man City will be stronger next season

Manuel Pellegrini is confident Manchester City will regain the Premier League title next season.

Mail Box

Who Is The Most Complete Striker Ever..?

...the answer is the original Ronaldo, Gerd Muller, Cristiano or Alan Shearer, depending on who you talk to. We also have one signing per Premier League (and promoted team)...

Reviewing Every PL Side's Season...

Time to half-heartedly agree or furiously reject some ratings. The mails also discuss the most complete striker ever in football, as well as Rodgers, Falcao and Bill O'Herilhy.

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company