FFF increase Leonardo ban

Paris St Germain sporting director Leonardo has been hit with an increased suspension by the French Football Federation's appeals body for pushing a referee earlier this year.

Last Updated: 04/07/13 at 10:48 Post Comment

Leonardo: Hit with a bigger ban

Leonardo: Hit with a bigger ban

The Brazilian was initially handed a nine-month ban over the incident that followed a Ligue 1 clash with Valenciennes on May 5, but the FFF's High Commission has now imposed a sterner sanction that will expire on June 30, 2014.

"The High Commission of Appeal of the French Football Federation on Wednesday decided to suspend Leonardo, sporting director of Paris Saint-Germain, from all official activity until 30 June 2014," read a statement on fff.fr.

Leonardo's initial ban had been due to expire on February 8, 2014, a sanction PSG branded as "unjustified and extremely harsh".

The club launched an immediate appeal but that has now backfired, with Leonardo facing an additional four and a half months on the sidelines, during which time he cannot be present on the touchline, in referees' dressing rooms or at any official functions.

Influence diluted

The increased punishment also threatens to severely dilute his influence with new PSG boss Laurent Blanc, who has replaced Carlo Ancelotti.

Leonardo is alleged to have barged into referee Alexandre Castro in the tunnel after the Valenciennes match and has been provisionally suspended since.

The 43-year-old had claimed he was pushed into the referee by the principal match delegate Marc-Gerard Biolchini, but the disciplinary committee that initially ruled on the matter decided his action was deliberate.

Leonardo was outspoken in his criticism of referees last season and described the sending-off of defender Thiago Silva in the Valenciennes match as "unacceptable".

The French champions were also handed a suspended three-point deduction for next season, but the FFF High Commission elected to pass on the club's appeal against that sanction to the Ligue de Football Professionnel (LFP), who first handed it down.

"Concerning the removal of the three-point deduction on PSG, the Commission decided to refer the matter to the Disciplinary Committee of the LFP," the statement concluded.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

E

ven if United were to sign CR7 & Messi to play upfront, the fact remains Fletcher and Cleverly are playing in midfield. That's where the problem is. Fletcher is too slow with an awful pass, while Cleverly is simply rubbish

mrunited4life
Di Maria - A Signing of Necessity, or Opportunity?

T

hese days, these days, you can't say something racist without somebody saying that you're a racist.

tk421
'Wrong' Views Not Silenced By Shouting...

D

rop Rooney (he's so disappointing, overrated and overpaid), and play Di Maria and RVP upfront, much like the set up at the Netherlands team with Roben and RVP...

eric bush3
Di Maria - A Signing of Necessity, or Opportunity?

Footer 365

Transfer news: Liverpool's Jordon Ibe joins Derby on season-long loan

Liverpool have loaned forward Jordon Ibe to Sky Bet Championship side Derby County for the 2014-15 season.

Transfer news: Juventus confirm Arturo Vidal will stay despite Man Utd link

Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri has confirmed that Arturo Vidal will not be joining Manchester United this summer.

Transfer news: Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho wants to keep Fernando Torres

Jose Mourinho says Fernando Torres is part of his plans and that the striker has not told him he wants to leave.

Mail Box

Ginger Pirlo? Don't Make Me Laugh...

A Sunderland fan in the mailbox is surprised by Jack Colback's call up to the England squad. Plus, thoughts on Welbeck and Liverpool's Champions League draw...

Don't Forget Chelsea Also Need A Striker

With Diego Costa struggling for fitness, one Chelsea fan pipes up in the mailbox to remind us that the Blues also need a striker. Plus, thoughts on Rooney as captain...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property