Mestalla

Next Game

R Madrid v Barcelona

Wednesday, 16 April 2014, 20:30

Copa del Rey Final

Last Game

Granada 1 - 0 Barcelona

Saturday, 12 April 2014, 19:00

Spanish Primera BBVA

Santos offer Neymar new deal

Santos vice-president Odilio Rodrigues has denied rumours Barcelona have agreed a deal with Neymar and confirmed the club have opened talks over a new contract.

Last Updated: 27/02/13 at 13:48 Post Comment   

Neymar: Could extend his contract at Santos

Neymar: Could extend his contract at Santos

The Brazilian superstar is one of football's hottest properties and has been linked with a move to some of Europe's biggest clubs in recent months.

Manchester City, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid have all been credited with an interest in the 21-year-old in the past, while rumours suggested Barcelona had come to an agreement to take him to the Nou Camp.

Earlier this month Barca full-back Dani Alves, an international team-mate of Neymar, urged the striker to make the move to the Catalan giants.

Santos have always insisted the forward will remain at the club until at least after the 2014 World Cup, due to be held in Brazil.

The club have now revealed they have opened negotiations over a new extended deal for the forward, playing down the earlier comments by Alves.

"The club's managing committee has already decided, we intend to extend his [Neymar's] contract beyond 2014, we are working to make that happen," Rodrigues told UOL.

"We have already opened talks with Neymar's father, who denies there is any kind of agreement [with Barcelona] and we believe him. He said Neymar will be where he is happy.

"The news from Daniel Alves isn't anything new, Neymar is being sold every day, there is always news that he has been sold.

"They even say that Santos has received some money. It's very common, but there is no negotiation between Santos and any other club."

Brazilian legend Pele has also spoken out about Neymar's future, saying he should ignore any offers from England or Germany.

The three-time World Cup winner believes Neymar's game would be better suited to a move to Spain, with Barcelona his preferred destination.

"The problem is not the city that he goes to, it is where the best conditions for him will be,"said the 72-year-old.

"In England, Germany or Italy the game is harder. The referees are more accustomed to letting the play go on. Barcelona would be ideal for him.

"Santos do need him and for that reason I do not think he should push to leave, but when the time comes for both parties he should only join Barca."

Related News

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

H

e was right to leave, but not just because of the money City were coming into. If I remember rightly he had a reasonable amount of chances to shine at City, but he never passed the bloody ball. Loads of aimless dribbles and 40 yard shots and not much else. I would say that if he had learnt to be a bit more of a team player he may have done better at City.

bright and edgy
Sturridge: Right to leave City

O

h! And.... has it gone in!?' Well John, it is quite literally your job to tell me, so stop phrasing it as a question.

ajsr1982
Eye On The Experts: John Motson

M

an who resembles bond villain complains about spies ....brillliant

mrjackson
Palace deny spying accusation

Footer 365

Luton Town promoted to Football League after winning Conference Premier title

Luton Town have won promotion from the Conference Premier - ending a five-year absence from the Football League.

Premier League: West Ham boss Sam Allardyce frustrated to lose lead at Arsenal

West Ham boss Sam Allardyce admitted his frustration at his side's inability to hold their lead in the loss at Arsenal.

Premier League: Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger hails importance of West Ham win

Arsene Wenger hailed the importance of Arsenal's victory over West Ham as his side came from behind to win 3-1.

Mail Box

Worried Liverpool Will Become A Selling Club

Liverpool fans in the mailbox are not too worried about sour grapes from United supporters, but one admits he's scared the Reds could end up selling their best players...

United Should Have Gone For Bruce And Hughes

A mailbox asking why United did not go for two old boys over Moyes, what Wenger's targets were for the season and whether he's had a better season than Pellegrini..?

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property