Report: Neymar set for Barca

Brazil striker Neymar is reported to have decided to join Barcelona this summer.

Last Updated: 26/05/13 at 11:39 Post Comment

Neymar: Understood to have decided to join Barca

Neymar: Understood to have decided to join Barca

Santos have accepted two offers for their star player, with Barcelona confirmed as one of the bidders and Real Madrid widely suggested to be the other side in pursuit.

After an initial meeting between club officials, Neymar and the player's father, no immediate decision on his future was reached, but Spanish media have since reported the forward will be moving to the Nou Camp.

A statement from Santos read: "In a meeting with representatives of the management committee of Santos FC, striker Neymar Jr was made aware of the offers received by the club and he will analyse them in the coming days before making a final decision."

The 21-year-old's contract expires at the end of next season and some reports had suggested an agreement with Barcelona was as good as signed.

Santos vice-president Odilio Rodrigues apparently shares that view, quoted on the website of Spanish sports newspaper Diario AS as saying: "When I went to Barcelona to hear the offer, I learned that Neymar had a verbal agreement that when he finished his contract in 2014 he was going to Barcelona.

"He has a gentleman's agreement. He doesn't have a contract, but a verbal agreement."

The move to Barcelona was reported as a done deal by Marca.com, the website of the sports newspaper that most closely focuses on affairs at Real Madrid.

If Madrid are to miss out on Neymar, they will have to work out a way to contain him during the 'Clasico' matches next season.

Barcelona assistant boss Jordi Roura refused to be be drawn on the progress of Barcelona's chase, but acknowledged the talent of their target.

"Let things run their course," he said. "He's a spectacular player and any club would want him."

It was reported by Marca.com that Neymar's signing could be announced after Barcelona's Primera Division match at Espanyol on Sunday night, or during Monday.

Neymar, who trained with Santos on Saturday, is relishing the prospect of a move to Europe, being quoted by Brazilian sports website globoesporte.globo.com as saying last night: "This is an honour, the happiest moment of my life. I will now think carefully about these two proposals.

"I will decide with my family. I'm in no hurry. The decision may come out in five minutes, half an hour or three days."

Neymar, who has already played more than 30 games for his country, has spent his whole career so far at Santos, who have repeatedly fended off interest from a host of European clubs.

The club initially confirmed two bids had been accepted with a statement which read: "Santos FC announces that it has received two offers for the player Neymar da Silva Santos Junior.

"Given the offers and conditions of the player's contract, the management committee of the club have decided to sell the player."

It remains to be seen whether the transfer will be complicated by the complex nature of Neymar's ownership arrangement, with various investment groups holding a stake in the player as well as the club.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

T

his is all good fun, but anyone who thinks United are 4th best in England for anything more than a blip is properly f***ing mental. And Domenech is properly f***ing mental.

megabrow (cufc)
Schneiderlin must join United - Domenech

I

f the answer is Matt Phillips, the question should never be Who is one of your major transfer targets?

jelasfirsttouch
The Twosome Gossip

I

s this Chris Smalling playing the 'Race' card?

hump3.
Smalling wants United race

Footer 365

Koeman: Utd Schneiderlin bid 'not serious'

Ronald Koeman says Southampton are yet to hear back from Manchester United since rejecting a bid for Morgan Schneiderlin that "wasn't serious".

Benzema facing uncertain future at Real

Real Madrid boss Rafa Benitez is reportedly planning to play Cristiano Ronaldo as a lone striker in a move which could sideline Karim Benzema.

Torino confirm offers for United target

Torino president Urbano Cairo says the club have received three bids for Italy right-back and reported Manchester United target Matteo Darmian.

Mail Box

Van Persie: Really Expensive Wallpaper

He was bought to cover the cracks that nearly brought down the house, says one Man United fan. We also have mails on Brendan, the WWC, Aguero and...

Farewell Robin, You Were Wonderful

One Mailer looks back fondly at Robin van Persie's time at Old Trafford as he nears the exit. Plus Turkish delights, being inspired, David Ospina, handballs & decisions...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company