Old Trafford

Next Game

Man Utd v Inter

Wednesday, 30 July 2014, 00:00

Friendly Match

San Siro (Giuseppe Meazza)

Last Game

Inter 1 - 1 R Madrid

Saturday, 26 July 2014, 23:00

Friendly Match

Inter reject Cassano claim

Inter Milan head coach Walter Mazzarri has rejected Antonio Cassano's claim that he reneged on a promise made to the former Nerazzurri striker.

Last Updated: 05/07/13 at 12:51 Post Comment

Antonio Cassano: Said he was promised a starting berth

Antonio Cassano: Said he was promised a starting berth

Cassano, 30, signed for Parma on a three-year contract on Wednesday after spending one season at San Siro, in which he scored seven league goals as Inter finished ninth in Serie A.

At Thursday's unveiling the Bari-born striker claimed new Inter boss Mazzarri had promised him a starting berth for the 2013-14 campaign, only to back out of the pledge and exclude Cassano from his plans.

Former Napoli coach Mazzarri denied the accusation, telling Inter's official website: "What I said to the club is exactly what I said when I held my (introductory) press conference.

"I haven't spoken to or about the players since then because I was waiting for the start of the season.

"I don't see how I can have decided who my first-choice players and squad players are before I've even had the chance to coach them.

"I'd like to put on record that the last time I spoke to Cassano was at the Inter v Napoli match in the first half of last season. On that occasion I just said hello to him on the pitch."

Cassano had told La Repubblica Sport: "I thank (president Massimo) Moratti and (director of sport Marco) Branca but not Mazzarri.

"First of all he told me I would be a definite starter, but then he changed his mind. So I left Inter because I wasn't going to be in his plans.

"I'm keen on people who will show me love from day one. (Parma coach Roberto) Donadoni has big plans and was happy to bring me to Parma."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

think all those names linked to United exits make sense. Kagawa has never really looked like hitting the form he had at Dortmund and Fellaini is radioactive after last season (even though I think he's been unfairly singled out for criticism). Nani and Anderson have had more than their fair share of chances so they are done, and Hernandez deserves better than warming a bench.

ted, manchester
The Insecure Gossip

H

e'll be off to Spurs (or better) in January and I don't blame him. Looking forward to re-signing Grant Holt as his replacement though.

notalentjones
Benteke ignoring speculation

I

n fairness, he does look absolutely shattered in that photo.....

FairyNuff
Shaw told to shape up

Footer 365

Champions League: John Collins claims Celtic will have to be at best to get past Legia Warsaw

John Collins says Legia Warsaw pose a huge threat to his dream of Champions League football with Celtic this season.

Premier League: Daniel Sturridge confident Liverpool can shine without Luis Suarez

Daniel Sturridge believes Liverpool have the squad to handle Luis Suarez's exit and will challenge for top honours.

Transfer news: Simon Mignolet backs Liverpool target Divock Origi and welcomes Pepe Reina return

Liverpool are closing in on Divock Origi and the Belgium youngster has been tipped to shine in the Premier League.

Mail Box

Don't You Worry About Southampton...

We can't help but agree with one mailboxer who tries to calm the crisis-mongers gathering around Southampton, while we have mails on Man United's squad...

No Wonder Wenger Doesn't Buy British

That's if reports that Calum Chambers cost Arsenal £16m are to be believed. The English premium shows no signs of disappearing. Plus, worrying about poor Southampton...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property