Next Game

Genoa v Lazio

Sunday, 21 September 2014, 14:00

Italian Serie A

Stadio Olimpico

Last Game

Lazio 3 - 0 Cesena

Sunday, 14 September 2014, 14:00

Italian Serie A

Lotito: Appeal a waste of time

Lazio president Claudio Lotito has described his club's appeal of a UEFA stadium ban as a "waste of time" after it was rejected on Monday.

Last Updated: 11/03/13 at 20:44 Post Comment

Claudio Lotito: Believes Lazio wasted their time with appeal

Claudio Lotito: Believes Lazio wasted their time with appeal

UEFA last month ordered the Italians to play their next two home European matches behind closed doors, starting with Thursday's Europa League last-16 match against Stuttgart, after the club was charged over the setting-off of fireworks, racist behaviour and insufficient organisation during their last-32 match against Borussia Monchengladbach.

The club were also fined 40,000 euros (£35,000).

Lazio's appeal was rejected by UEFA's Appeals Body today, and Lotito said he was not surprised.

"It was a waste of time," he said in a statement on the club's website. "Everything we did to explain ourselves did nothing. The motivations we still do not know...

"Nothing has been served by coming here. There have been four days spent on the appeal, plus expenses, but it is the story of a death foretold."

It is not the first time Lazio fans have fallen foul of European football's governing body, with the club having previously been punished for racism offences in matches against Tottenham and Slovenian side Maribor.

Fenerbahce will also have to play their next home European match in an empty stadium after their appeal of a charge of throwing fireworks in their recent Europa League clash against BATE Borisov was also rejected.

However, the Appeals Body partially accepted Cesar Navas' appeal against the red card he was shown during Rubin Kazan's last-32 second leg against Atletico Madrid, a match the Russians lost 1-0 only to knock out the holders 2-1 on aggregate.

Navas was dismissed for a late lunge on Falcao, but the partial success of his appeal means his ban is now for two games, rather than three, and he will complete it by sitting out the second leg of their tie with Levante on Thursday.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

W

riting a minute by minute account on Berbatov would be like chronicling the days of the guy punished for sloth in the movie Se7en. Day 4 - lay in bed, did nothing - 15th minute, stood there did nothing .

lustral
Taking A Close Look At Mario...

W

hen players in their 30s leave Real Madrid, it's usually to Bolton Wanderers. I miss those days.

sailingmagpie
Top Ten CL Players Whetting Our Appetite

W

ow Pete, you would make an excellent stalker!

fouloleron
Taking A Close Look At Mario...

Footer 365

Champions League review: Big wins for Roma and Porto, Barca edge to victory

Roma and Porto earned big wins in the Champions League, while Barcelona opened their campaign with a narrow victory.

Champions League: Jose Mourinho rues missed chances in Schalke draw

Jose Mourinho bemoaned Chelsea's failure to kill off Schalke with a second goal before Klaas-Jan Huntelaar's equaliser.

Champions League: Man City goalkeeper Joe Hart left to rue late Bayern Munich winner

Man City goalkeeper Joe Hart admitted Jerome Boateng's late winner for Bayern Munich felt like a kick in the teeth.

Mail Box

I've Given It Some Thought: He's Got To Go

There is some more considered reaction to Arsenal and Liverpool's results, plus a big get well soon message for Jonas Gutierrez. And an apology to Merse...

B**locks To That, I'm Going To Sit In The Shed

Arsenal supporters given their understandable reaction to the debacle in Dortmund, whilst Liverpool fans weren't too impressed either. Still, at least they won...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property