San Siro (Giuseppe Meazza)

Next Game

AC Milan v Juventus

Saturday, 20 September 2014, 19:45

Italian Serie A

Last Game

Parma 4 - 5 AC Milan

Sunday, 14 September 2014, 19:45

Italian Serie A

FIGC lay out racism plans

The Italian football association (FIGC) has told players not to follow the lead of Kevin-Prince Boateng and walk off the pitch if they are subjected to racist abuse.

Last Updated: 09/01/13 at 23:29 Post Comment

Kevin-Prince Boateng: Walked off the pitch after being subjected to racism

Kevin-Prince Boateng: Walked off the pitch after being subjected to racism

The FIGC on Wednesday reaffirmed its policy for a pitchside 'director' to decide whether to suspend matches in such circumstances - a move that echoes FIFA president Sepp Blatter's calls earlier this week.

AC Milan midfielder Boateng left the pitch, followed by his team-mates, after he was subjected to racist taunts during a friendly against lower-league Pro Patria last week.

The Ghana international's action have since earned widespread praise while

the FIGC have vowed to remove racism from stands across the country.

Part of that move has seen the governing body meet the Osservatorio - the organisation tasked with security and safety at stadia in Italy - to discuss the procedure surrounding racist incidents.

Those discussions were detailed in simultaneous statements from both organisations today - which included calling for players to remain on the pitch - but also revealed matches could be suspended to warn fans about their behaviour.

The Osservatorio statement detailed the exact process, saying: "In the event of racism, intolerance or anti-Semitism, the referee and players will report through the fourth official to a director for public safety, someone solely responsible for making the decision to end a game.

"A report will be filed to the Federal Prosecutor's office. In the event of serious racism or intolerance the game can be suspended temporarily to broadcast warning messages through PA systems in the stadia."

FIGC general manager Antonello Valentini, who met with Osservatorio officials this week, welcomed the statement.

"Following on from yesterday's meeting, my continued presence here today is an opportunity to make sure no-one thinks we are underestimating the problem," he said.

"The FIGC has always paid maximum attention to the issue, in line with state and sporting laws.

"The refinements to certain procedures that the Osservatorio have outlined today are based on yesterday's talks and are aimed at making stadia and sport venues more civilised places. "These kind of events must not be allowed to continue.

"The plan is to ban racists from the stadia and we are grateful to the Ministry of the Interior and the Osservatorio for what they are doing about it and what they will continue to do."

Last week FIFA boss Blatter called for harsher sanctions to deal with racism, but warned that players should not walk off the pitch.

Blatter had appeared to suggest that players could use racism as an excuse to walk off during a game if they were losing.

Speaking at a conference in the Middle East, Blatter told United Arab Emirates newspaper The National: "Walk off? No. I don't think that is the solution.

"I don't think you can run away, because eventually you can run away if you lose a match.

"This issue is a very touchy subject, but I repeat there is zero tolerance of racism in the stadium; we have to go against that.

"The only solution is to be very harsh with the sanctions - and the sanctions must be a deduction of points or something similar."

Pro Patria have subsequently been ordered to play their next match behind closed doors.

Italian police have also confirmed six people are under investigation for their role in the incident, including Riccardo Grittini, 21, who is a representative of Italian political party Lega Nord.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

W

riting a minute by minute account on Berbatov would be like chronicling the days of the guy punished for sloth in the movie Se7en. Day 4 - lay in bed, did nothing - 15th minute, stood there did nothing .

lustral
Taking A Close Look At Mario...

W

hen players in their 30s leave Real Madrid, it's usually to Bolton Wanderers. I miss those days.

sailingmagpie
Top Ten CL Players Whetting Our Appetite

W

ow Pete, you would make an excellent stalker!

fouloleron
Taking A Close Look At Mario...

Footer 365

Europa League: Everton boss Roberto Martinez delighted with 4-1 win over Wolfsburg

Roberto Martinez was delighted with Everton's display as they brushed aside Wolfsburg to win 4-1 in the Europa League.

Europa League: Tottenham's Mauricio Pochettino hits out at Partizan banner

Tottenham's Mauricio Pochettino was angered by the "unacceptable" anti-Semitic banner displayed by Partizan fans.

Europa League: Everton open Group H campaign with 4-1 win over Wolfsburg

Everton opened their Europa League Group H campaign with a convincing 4-1 win over Wolfsburg at Goodison Park.

Mail Box

Why Doesn't Rodgers Play Borini?

One Liverpool supporter thinks this could be Fabio Borini's year, whilst we also have thoughts on the Red Bulls, Welbeck vs Gervinho and Paul Lambert's new deal...

Could Arsenal Benefit From Top Four Exit?

That's one idea in the morning mailbox as the Arsene Wenger debate rumbles on. Plus, comparing Welbeck to Gervinho and some advice for Greg Dyke and the FA...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property