Red Bull Arena

Next Game

Bay Munich v Guadalajara

Friday, 01 August 2014, 01:00

Friendly Match

Gotze 'turned down offers'

Mario Gotze turned down 'incredible offers' from unnamed clubs in favour of agreeing a move to Bayern Munich from Borussia Dortmund, according to executive director Matthias Sammer.

Last Updated: 24/04/13 at 14:22 Post Comment

Mario Gotze: Moving to Bayern from Dortmund in the summer

Mario Gotze: Moving to Bayern from Dortmund in the summer

Bayern confirmed on Tuesday that the talented 20-year-old will move to the Allianz Arena in the summer in a £32million deal, making use of the release clause in his contract.

Sammer, a former Dortmund captain and manager who is now at Bayern, says Gotze rejected interest from elsewhere before deciding to join the newly-crowned Bundesliga champions.

The Germany international has previously been linked with a host of top clubs, including Manchester United, Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Sammer told Sky Deutschland: "You have to be aware that Mario Gotze has had incredible offers from other clubs. Those offers were really mad!"

Bayern announced the deal ahead of their UEFA Champions League semi-final against Barcelona on Tuesday night, which they won 4-0, while Dortmund host Real Madrid in the first leg of the other tie on Wednesday.

Sammer admits the timing was not ideal, while also confirming Bayern have not spoken with Dortmund about the move.

He added: "Of course, the publication of this transfer has not been so ideal. We intended to go public with it just after the UEFA Champions League semi-final fixtures.

"We haven't been in touch with Borussia Dortmund over it. Why should we? Mario Gotze has got a contract release clause and he is making use of it."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

think all those names linked to United exits make sense. Kagawa has never really looked like hitting the form he had at Dortmund and Fellaini is radioactive after last season (even though I think he's been unfairly singled out for criticism). Nani and Anderson have had more than their fair share of chances so they are done, and Hernandez deserves better than warming a bench.

ted, manchester
The Insecure Gossip

H

e'll be off to Spurs (or better) in January and I don't blame him. Looking forward to re-signing Grant Holt as his replacement though.

notalentjones
Benteke ignoring speculation

I

n fairness, he does look absolutely shattered in that photo.....

FairyNuff
Shaw told to shape up

Footer 365

Champions League: John Collins claims Celtic will have to be at best to get past Legia Warsaw

John Collins says Legia Warsaw pose a huge threat to his dream of Champions League football with Celtic this season.

Premier League: Daniel Sturridge confident Liverpool can shine without Luis Suarez

Daniel Sturridge believes Liverpool have the squad to handle Luis Suarez's exit and will challenge for top honours.

Transfer news: Simon Mignolet backs Liverpool target Divock Origi and welcomes Pepe Reina return

Liverpool are closing in on Divock Origi and the Belgium youngster has been tipped to shine in the Premier League.

Mail Box

Don't You Worry About Southampton...

We can't help but agree with one mailboxer who tries to calm the crisis-mongers gathering around Southampton, while we have mails on Man United's squad...

No Wonder Wenger Doesn't Buy British

That's if reports that Calum Chambers cost Arsenal £16m are to be believed. The English premium shows no signs of disappearing. Plus, worrying about poor Southampton...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property