Mulgrew upbeat despite defeat

Charlie Mulgrew insists the last 16 of the Champions League remains Celtic's target despite the heartbreaking defeat against AC Milan.

Last Updated: 19/09/13 at 17:35 Post Comment

Charlie Mulgrew: Goes close with free-kick during 2-0 defeat at San Siro

Charlie Mulgrew: Goes close with free-kick during 2-0 defeat at San Siro

The Hoops more than held their own against the seven-time winners until two late goals consigned them to a 2-0 defeat in the Group H opener.

Celtic enjoyed large spells of possession and came close to opening the scoring through Kris Commons and Georgios Samaras before Anthony Stokes rattled the bar with a 25-yard free-kick nine minutes from time.

However, just 60 seconds later Emilio Izaguirre deflected a long-range shot beyond the reach of Fraser Forster and an 86th-minute Sulley Muntari goal put the tie beyond the visitors.

But despite the manner of the defeat, Mulgrew is confident Celtic can pick up enough points in the remaining five games to at least match the heroics of last year when they advanced from the group stages along with Barcelona.

"We're here to compete in this group, not just put in good performances and get beaten and come away happy," he told BBC Scotland.

"It's a massive disappointment. I thought we played well and maybe just couldn't take our chances. We never deserved a 2-0, but we know that's what Milan can do.

"It felt quite comfortable and maybe if we had taken one of our chances it would have been a different result.

"But that's the Champions League for you. It's only one game, there's a long way to go and we'll pick ourselves up.

"We've got to be positive. The next game comes around in a couple of weeks and we've got to be ready for it and quickly put this out of our system.

"I think we're growing well in the competition. There's a lot of belief in the squad - the manager installs that in us - maybe just a bit of belief missing in front of goal."

Celtic have two home games against Barcelona on October 1 and Ajax (October 22) before travelling to Amsterdam on November 6.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

think all those names linked to United exits make sense. Kagawa has never really looked like hitting the form he had at Dortmund and Fellaini is radioactive after last season (even though I think he's been unfairly singled out for criticism). Nani and Anderson have had more than their fair share of chances so they are done, and Hernandez deserves better than warming a bench.

ted, manchester
The Insecure Gossip

H

e'll be off to Spurs (or better) in January and I don't blame him. Looking forward to re-signing Grant Holt as his replacement though.

notalentjones
Benteke ignoring speculation

I

n fairness, he does look absolutely shattered in that photo.....

FairyNuff
Shaw told to shape up

Footer 365

Premier League: Yaya Toure happy to stay at Manchester City

Yaya Toure has reaffirmed his commitment to Manchester City, insisting he wants to stay for "as long as possible".

Champions League: Henning Berg hopeful of Legia Warsaw's chances against Celtic

Legia Warsaw boss Henning Berg hopes his side can get a positive result against Celtic in their Champions League tie.

Premier League: Ross Barkley signs new four-year contract at Everton

Everton midfielder Ross Barkley has signed a new four-year deal with the club.

Mail Box

Youth Development Has To Be The Future

A varied Mailbox has thoughts on transfer targets, youth development, the obsession over 3-5-2, some innovative Blackpool suggestions and why Real bought Kroos...

Don't You Worry About Southampton...

We can't help but agree with one mailboxer who tries to calm the crisis-mongers gathering around Southampton, while we have mails on Man United's squad...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property