Terim sacked by Galatasaray

Galatasaray have confirmed that coach Fatih Terim has been sacked after being voted out by the club's board of directors on Tuesday.

Last Updated: 24/09/13 at 20:00 Post Comment

Fatih Terim: Voted out by the Galatasaray board of directors

Fatih Terim: Voted out by the Galatasaray board of directors

The 60-year-old, who accepted interim charge of the Turkey national side in August, was relieved of his duties after a disappointing start to the season in his third spell as manager at the club.

Terim attempted to set out positively with the signings of Didier Drogba and Wesley Sneijder, but the big-name transfers have yielded a mixed reaction so far, given the vast amount of investment.

Galatasaray president Unal Aysal had previously aired concerns about Terim's project on the international scene as well as his refusal to accept a two-year contract with the club.

"After Fatih Terim's rejection of our two-year contract offer, the Galatasaray board have been obligated to find new solutions," a club statement said.

"All these developments regarding this issue were harmful to our club and its values. Our board have a responsibility to preserve these values and transmit to next generations.

"By force of this responsibility, in order to prevent our club from getting damaged more, the Galatasaray board decided to terminate Fatih Terim's contract.

"We thank Fatih Terim for his contributions and we would like everyone to know that we will be proud of his future achivements with Turkish National Team."

Galatasaray have registered just six points from four league outings and suffered a 6-1 drubbing in their UEFA Champions League Group B opener against Real Madrid at home, with Cristiano Ronaldo scoring a hat-trick.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

T

he uber commercialisation of the 90s has led to the point where this overly familar, try hard, jolly hockey sticks type fronts up a major football match on a weekly basis. Unlike the great presenters of yesteryear, I doubt he would even recognise the scent of Brut.

mufc phil
Football On TV: Jake Humphrey

H

opefully Jose turns up to the game wearing a T-Shirt with Costa's face on, that's the classy thing to do in these situations right?

Petulant_Radish
Costa loses appeal against ban

C

onfirmed. Nick Miller is a douche bag. Lazy, incoherent rant is what this article should be titled. And for the editor to have the temerity to pass this as acceptable writing is shocking. Ah well, anything for clicks right? You got mine. Well done. Your mother must be proud.

poolshortsdown
Gerrard Constantly Searching For That Final Hurrah

Footer 365

Les Hutchison's takeover of Motherwell has been ratified

Les Hutchison has completed his takeover of Scottish Premiership club Motherwell.

Mark Hughes in preliminary talks over new contract at Stoke City

Mark Hughes has revealed preliminary talks over him extending his stay as Stoke City manager are underway.

Cristiano Ronaldo admits he made a mistake against Cordoba, says Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti

Cristiano Ronaldo knows he made a mistake against Cordoba and accepts his two-game ban, according to Carlo Ancelotti.

Mail Box

'Costa Is A Bad Man. Suarez Is Not'

That's quite some claim. And yes, unfortunately we are still talking about this. We also have mails on Ronaldinho, possible replacements for Yaya Toure and more...

Red Mist Better Than Calculated Costa?

Hmmm. We're not sure about this argument - one Mailbox says Luis Suarez is easier to forgive because he is a little loco. We also have mails on Studge and more...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company