Wembley Stadium

Next Game

England v Lithuania

Friday, 27 March 2015, 19:45

European Qualifiers Group E

Celtic Park

Last Game

Scotland 1 - 3 England

Tuesday, 18 November 2014, 20:00

International Match

FA: No evidence of racism yet

The Football Association says it has not found any evidence of England fans chanting an allegedly racist song aimed at Rio and Anton Ferdinand last week in San Marino.

Last Updated: 29/03/13 at 18:20 Post Comment

Adrian Bevington: Says the FA is continuing to review video footage of fans in S

Adrian Bevington: Says the FA is continuing to review video footage of fans in S

But the FA insists it is taking the matter seriously and will take action if evidence of racist chanting is uncovered.

Rio Ferdinand was targeted for abuse by England supporters after he controversially pulled out of the squad for the World Cup qualifiers so he could stick to a pre-planned training schedule.

And, according to reports, one group of fans joined in with a song that suggested Ferdinand and his brother Anton, also a professional footballer, should be burned on a bonfire.

Anti-racism group FARE has made a complaint to FIFA over the song, which it claims could be perceived as having racial connotations.

The FA's Club England managing director Adrian Bevington said: "We have no reason to dispute the media reports, which are without doubt made for the right reasons of fighting racism.

"But, at this time, we have not found any recorded evidence of the specific discriminatory chanting referring to Rio and Anton Ferdinand and the vile 'bonfire' song.

"We will of course continue to review all of our recorded footage.

Incident taken seriously

"The FA takes all incidents and allegations of racism extremely seriously. In San Marino, we had FA security officers monitoring the English supporters in the stadium. This includes recorded video footage.

"We recognise the importance of FARE's responsibility to report any incidents to FIFA. We will liaise with FIFA and work with them to assist any investigation.

"Should evidence of any racial chanting be found, we would expect action to be taken against any individuals. We would expect banning orders to be issued by the courts as a minimum penalty.

"We do not want supporters who chant vile or racist abuse following the England team and we fully recognise that we must continue to address any issues that arise involving our own supporters in the same manner we expect other nations to do so.

"We will not accept any racist chanting and we also call on those attending England matches at home and abroad to stop the 'No Surrender' chanting during the singing of the national anthem, both before and during games.

"We have made significant progress following the hooliganism that blighted the national team in 1998 and 2000. We must continue to maintain this hard work."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

T

he uber commercialisation of the 90s has led to the point where this overly familar, try hard, jolly hockey sticks type fronts up a major football match on a weekly basis. Unlike the great presenters of yesteryear, I doubt he would even recognise the scent of Brut.

mufc phil
Football On TV: Jake Humphrey

H

opefully Jose turns up to the game wearing a T-Shirt with Costa's face on, that's the classy thing to do in these situations right?

Petulant_Radish
Costa loses appeal against ban

C

onfirmed. Nick Miller is a douche bag. Lazy, incoherent rant is what this article should be titled. And for the editor to have the temerity to pass this as acceptable writing is shocking. Ah well, anything for clicks right? You got mine. Well done. Your mother must be proud.

poolshortsdown
Gerrard Constantly Searching For That Final Hurrah

Footer 365

Les Hutchison's takeover of Motherwell has been ratified

Les Hutchison has completed his takeover of Scottish Premiership club Motherwell.

Mark Hughes in preliminary talks over new contract at Stoke City

Mark Hughes has revealed preliminary talks over him extending his stay as Stoke City manager are underway.

Cristiano Ronaldo admits he made a mistake against Cordoba, says Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti

Cristiano Ronaldo knows he made a mistake against Cordoba and accepts his two-game ban, according to Carlo Ancelotti.

Mail Box

'Costa Is A Bad Man. Suarez Is Not'

That's quite some claim. And yes, unfortunately we are still talking about this. We also have mails on Ronaldinho, possible replacements for Yaya Toure and more...

Red Mist Better Than Calculated Costa?

Hmmm. We're not sure about this argument - one Mailbox says Luis Suarez is easier to forgive because he is a little loco. We also have mails on Studge and more...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company