St Jakob Park

Next Game

Switzerland v England

Monday, 08 September 2014, 19:45

Euro 2016 Qualifying Group E

Last Game

Costa Rica 0 - 0 England

Tuesday, 24 June 2014, 17:00

World Cup Group D

Clarke: Leave Berahino alone

West Brom boss Steve Clarke has rejected suggestions youngster Saido Berahino should be considered a candidate for England's World Cup squad.

Last Updated: 19/10/13 at 10:58 Post Comment

Steve Clarke (right) with Saido Berahino

Steve Clarke (right) with Saido Berahino

The 20-year-old has been one of the stars of the season so far, scoring five goals for West Brom in all competitions and four more for England Under-21s.

Berahino has been installed by some bookmakers as a 20-1 shot to join Roy Hodgson's squad on the plane to Brazil next summer.

When that was put to Clarke, he laughed, and said: "Six weeks ago nobody spoke about Saido. Nobody. And now people want to put him in the World Cup squad.

"Come on, you have to keep a sense of realism. Saido's had a fantastic start to the season. He's scored some goals for the England Under-21s against opposition that is not the strongest. He's scored a Premier League goal for us and he's doing all right.

"Let's just give him time to develop and see where his career ends up."

Clarke did not rule out the possibility completely though.

"It can happen," he said. "In football you never say never but for me at the moment (I want) everybody to back off Saido and give him time to grow as a player. That's what I want more than anything. I want to give the boy time to grow and develop as a player."

Berahino's modest contract has less than a year to run and the club are currently in negotiations over a new deal but Clarke is reluctant to put much emphasis on the matter.

"I'm going to speak this time about Saido's contract but don't ask me next week or the week after or the week after that," he said.

"Saido's contract is under discussion, everybody is talking about it. Three weeks ago I said I was confident something would be sorted and I'm still confident."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

think all those names linked to United exits make sense. Kagawa has never really looked like hitting the form he had at Dortmund and Fellaini is radioactive after last season (even though I think he's been unfairly singled out for criticism). Nani and Anderson have had more than their fair share of chances so they are done, and Hernandez deserves better than warming a bench.

ted, manchester
The Insecure Gossip

H

e'll be off to Spurs (or better) in January and I don't blame him. Looking forward to re-signing Grant Holt as his replacement though.

notalentjones
Benteke ignoring speculation

I

n fairness, he does look absolutely shattered in that photo.....

FairyNuff
Shaw told to shape up

Footer 365

Premier League: Yaya Toure happy to stay at Manchester City

Yaya Toure has reaffirmed his commitment to Manchester City, insisting he wants to stay for "as long as possible".

Champions League: Henning Berg hopeful of Legia Warsaw's chances against Celtic

Legia Warsaw boss Henning Berg hopes his side can get a positive result against Celtic in their Champions League tie.

Premier League: Ross Barkley signs new four-year contract at Everton

Everton midfielder Ross Barkley has signed a new four-year deal with the club.

Mail Box

Youth Development Has To Be The Future

A varied Mailbox has thoughts on transfer targets, youth development, the obsession over 3-5-2, some innovative Blackpool suggestions and why Real bought Kroos...

Don't You Worry About Southampton...

We can't help but agree with one mailboxer who tries to calm the crisis-mongers gathering around Southampton, while we have mails on Man United's squad...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property