Next Game

Spain v Macedonia

Monday, 08 September 2014, 19:45

Euro 2016 Qualifying Group C

Last Game

Australia 0 - 3 Spain

Monday, 23 June 2014, 17:00

World Cup Group B

Del Bosque: We were outfought

Spain manager Vicente del Bosque admits that they were outfought in their 5-1 humiliation to World Cup Group B rivals Holland.

Last Updated: 14/06/14 at 08:51 Post Comment

Vicente del Bosque: Dejected after Spain's 5-1 loss to Holland

Vicente del Bosque: Dejected after Spain's 5-1 loss to Holland

Two goals from Robin van Persie and Arjen Robben condemned the Spanish to a heavy defeat in Salvador – the first time Spain have conceded five goals in an international game since losing 6-2 to Scotland 41 years ago.

The Spaniards took the lead midway through the first-half when Xabi Alonso converted a penalty after striker Diego Costa was fouled by a clumsy Stefan de Vrij challenge.

However, an astonishing second-half display from Holland saw Louis van Gaal’s side fire in four goals and following Spain’s surprising capitulation, Del Bosque believes that Holland were tactically superior after the break.

"They were better in the second half after a first half when we played well," the coach told Spanish television.

"They looked to knock the ball over the top against our defence and found a lot of space.

"We kept on fighting but they were physically stronger as the game went on and that made a difference."

Del Bosque says his side must now switch their focus to next Wednesday's game against Chile and admits he will have to approach the game with caution.

He added: "It is now a delicate situation for us which we will try and overcome in our next game against Chile and then see what happens."

Midfielder Andres Iniesta admits it will be hard to brush off the defeat, but is confident they will stamp their mark on Group B.

"We have to win the two games that are left. There are small details that tip the balance. But it was difficult for us," said the Barcelona playmaker. 

"We are prepared for whatever comes. We'll do our work, but we won't forget about this."

The question really for Spain is: When that level of performance and tactics are used against them again, will they be able to respond? Spain simply continued to do what Spain do yesterday. That might be good enough against 75% of the opposition teams out there, but can they mix it up a little when the other 25% are ripping their full backs apart and getting in behind?
- tk421

Footer 365

Women's football: Fara Williams set to win record-breaking 130th England cap

Fara Williams says it will be a dream come if she wins her 130th cap to become England's most capped player in history

Arsene Wenger reveals his most important achievement of his Arsenal reign

Arsene Wenger says keeping Arsenal competitive during barren years has been his most important achievement.

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers expects his side to challenge for the Premier League title

Brendan Rodgers is confident Liverpool will not let last season's title heartbreak affect their challenge this term.

Mail Box

Are Villa Fans The Lowest Of Them All?

With the possible exception of Blackpool, are any club's fans feeling any more depressed about the start of the season than Villa? We also have a bizarre suggestion and...

How Can Tim Sherwood Be Out Of Work?

Don't peple know his PPG was THE BEST EVER FOR A SPURS MANAGER? We also have mails on Luis Suarez, the new fashion for 3-5-2 and more...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property