The Premier League approved Cleverley’s move from Manchester United on Tuesday after Villa had been unable to agree a permanent deal on deadline day.
Cleverley is looking forward to his opportunity at Villa Park after suffering a dip in form over the past 12 months which cost him a place in Roy Hodgson’s World Cup squad.
The 25-year-old had featured in seven of England’s 10 World Cup qualifiers, but was overlooked for Brazil, where Hodgson’s side failed to get beyond the group phase.
"First and foremost I have got to get back playing and hopefully as a by-product of that I can get back in the England team," Cleverley told Villa’s official website.
"The thing I am concentrating on though is trying to come in and hit the ground running so I can help Aston Villa.
"Playing football is what matters most to me and I'm looking forward to getting back to what I know I can do. This is the kind of club where I can do that.
"The prospect of working under the manager (Paul Lambert) and Roy (Keane, assistant manager), who were both fantastic midfielders in their playing careers, made the decision to come to Villa an easy one.
"I'm looking forward to working with them, but also the other really good midfield players that the club have, like Fabian Delph, Ashley Westwood and other new lads like Kieran Richardson, Joe Cole and Carlos Sanchez."
He added: "It's a team that plays the style of football I like. They play with high energy, they pass and move and there are a lot of good young players.
“The manager told me the way that he'd like me to play and it all sat perfectly for me. I'm very happy to be coming down to play for Villa."
Villa boss Lambert said: "Tom brings big-game experience to the club, he's played international football for England and he still has great potential to kick on in his career.
"There's a lot of good football ahead of him if he performs the way we think he can perform and we're delighted to have been able to bring him in to join the group."