England fan has ear bitten off

An England fan had part of his ear bitten off by one of his fellow supporters after the team's World Cup defeat by Uruguay last week.

Last Updated: 29/06/14 at 06:27 Post Comment

England, who subsequently exited the tournament in the group stage, lost the game 2-1 in Sao Paulo as Uruguay striker Luis Suarez scored two goals.

The victim was left with half his left ear ripped off in the incident, the Association of Chief Police Officers confirmed.

"We were made aware during the England v Uruguay match in Sao Paulo that an incident had taken place which resulted in an England fan having a portion of his ear bitten off by another England fan," said Chief Superintendent Rachel Barber.

"In the immediate aftermath, we managed to make contact with the victim and offered advice and support.

"The day after the attack, the victim chose to make a formal complaint to the local police, and they opened an investigation."

No arrests have been made but interviews with witnesses have given police a name for the alleged attacker, added Ms Barber.

A Foreign Office spokesman said: "We are aware of an incident in Sao Paulo on June 19 involving a British national and we provided consular assistance."

@ted maul - Perspective. A gnash on the shoulder that doesn't draw blood is very different to the savage attack in the stands where an ear lobe is violently bitten off. Hope they find and punish the scum that were responsible. A leg breaking tackle could sideline you for a long time, never heard of anyone missing a game with an ear lobe injury though. The volume of comments and level of disgust/hatred after this and the subsequent Suarez incident tells its own story. One is by far a more heinous crime than the other but the media/public are happy to let one slip through relatively unnoticed. Does anyone know if the missing piece of ear was found or - heaven forbid - was it swallowed?? Urgh
- avspitfire

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

think all those names linked to United exits make sense. Kagawa has never really looked like hitting the form he had at Dortmund and Fellaini is radioactive after last season (even though I think he's been unfairly singled out for criticism). Nani and Anderson have had more than their fair share of chances so they are done, and Hernandez deserves better than warming a bench.

ted, manchester
The Insecure Gossip

H

e'll be off to Spurs (or better) in January and I don't blame him. Looking forward to re-signing Grant Holt as his replacement though.

notalentjones
Benteke ignoring speculation

I

n fairness, he does look absolutely shattered in that photo.....

FairyNuff
Shaw told to shape up

Footer 365

Premier League: Ross Barkley signs new four-year contract at Everton

Everton midfielder Ross Barkley has signed a new four-year deal with the club.

Transfer news: Southampton's chairman says Jay Rodriguez and Morgan Schneiderlin will stay

Jay Rodriguez and Morgan Schneiderlin will not be sold, according to Southampton chairman Ralph Krueger.

Transfer News: Reported Manchester United target Arturo Vidal 'happy' to stay at Juventus

Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri is convinced Arturo Vidal will remain with the club for the forthcoming season.

Mail Box

Youth Development Has To Be The Future

A varied Mailbox has thoughts on transfer targets, youth development, the obsession over 3-5-2, some innovative Blackpool suggestions and why Real bought Kroos...

Don't You Worry About Southampton...

We can't help but agree with one mailboxer who tries to calm the crisis-mongers gathering around Southampton, while we have mails on Man United's squad...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property