It will be the first taste of Manchester derby action for City boss Manuel Pellegrini and United chief David Moyes on Super Sunday and TEAMtalk takes you through all the key pointers.
City have won three of the last four Premier League meetings and have scored in their last 52 home league games and they are the 13/10 favourites.
• If they lose, it will be their worst PL start in 7 years.
• Lost 3-2 at Cardiff on Aug 25. It took them 15 games before their first PL defeat in 2011-12 and 16 games last season. Became the first PL side to go 14 games unbeaten at the start of successive seasons.
• Joint top PL scorers with Arsenal - 8 goals.
• Kept a clean sheet in 3 of opening 4 PL games. Going further back, they have kept 6 clean sheets in last 8.
• Conceded just 1 first half goal in last 13 PL games.
• Finished 11 points behind champions Man Utd last season. Won 5 games less than Man Utd and scored 20 goals fewer.
• Best defence in PL last season, conceding 34 goals. Most clean sheets - 18.
• Won both PL games at home this season - scored 6, conceded none.
• Won 9 of their last 10 home games in all comps.
• Won 39 of last 45 home PL games, including a PL record run of 20 straight wins. Lost just 2 of last 50.
• Scored in last 52 home PL games, since a goalless draw against Birmingham in Nov 2010.
• Best home defence in PL last season, conceding 15 goals.
• Sergio Aguero is 1 away from 50 goals for the club. Scored 49 goals in 93 apps for City. Scored 3 goals in 5 games against United in all comps. Scored 12 PL goals last season - 11 fewer than he scored in 2011-12. City have never lost when he has scored in the PL - 27 games, 26 wins.
• Edin Dzeko has scored 5 goals in 6 career apps against United. Club's top PL scorer last season with 14 goals.
• Won their last 2 games in all comps, scoring 6 goals.
• 7 points from 4 games is their worst start in 5 years. If they lose today, it will be their worst start in 9 years.
• Had not won and not scored in 2 PL games before beating Palace last week.
• Won just 5 of their last 12 PL games.
• Secured their 13th PL title last season with 4 games left to play. It was their 5th title in 7 seasons.
• Finished 11 points clear of Man City last season - won 5 more games and scored 20 more goals.
• Won a joint club record 28 League games last season.
• Became the first side in English top flight history last season to win 25 of their opening 30 League games.
• Top PL scorers last season with 86 goals - 11 more than any other side. Scored at least 3 goals in 16 of their 38 PL games.
• Had 20 different scorers in PL last season - a PL record.
• Conceded first in 16 PL games last season but went on to win 9 of those. Best comeback record in English football last season, winning 29 points from losing positions.
• Not conceded a penalty in 61 PL games, since v Blackburn in Dec 2011. Only side that did not concede a penalty in PL last season.
• Unbeaten in 60 PL games when scoring the first goal, winning 55.
• Suffered their first defeat in 14 away PL games at Anfield on Sept 1.
• Won 41 points away last season - 6 more than any other PL side.
• Robin Van Persie & Wayne Rooney have started 23 PL games together, scoring 28 goals (Van Persie 15, Rooney 13).
• Van Persie has scored just 2 goals in 13 career PL apps against City. Scored 13 goals in last 13 apps for United, including a goal in last 2 games. Top PL scorer for the last 2 seasons, scoring 30 & 26 goals respectively. Played in all 38 PL games last season, starting 35. Since New Year's Day 2011, he has scored 77 goals in 97 PL apps. Scored 125 goals in 236 career PL apps.
• Since his Premier League debut in August 2006, Ashley Young has won a joint-league-high 12 penalties (level with former teammate Gabriel Agbonlahor).
• Rooney became just the 4th player to score 200 goals for the club, following his double against Leverkusen. Only other players to achieve the feat were Sir Bobby Charlton, Denis Law & Jack Rowley. Rooney has scored 200 goals in 406 games for United. Scored 4 goals in his last 3 apps at the Etihad, including twice in this fixture last season. Went 8 games without a goal in all comps before scoring 3 in last 2. Scored 10 or more PL goals in each of his 9 seasons at United. United's top scorer in PL history with 142 goals.
• Danny Welbeck has never scored a PL goal against City in 6 games. Missed the last 2 games with a knee injury. Scored 5 goals in his last 5 apps for club & country - had scored just 1 in 30 before that.
• Ryan Giggs' first ever United goal came against City on his first League start for the club in May 1991. Only PL goal against City came 17 years ago, in a 3-2 win at Maine Road in April 1996. Made 945 apps for United - an all-time record for most apps for any one club. Scored in all previous 21 PL seasons.
• Maroune Fellaini is set to make his first PL start for United. Completed his £27.5m move from Everton on deadline day. Made 177 apps (33 goals) for Everton after costing £17m from Standard Liege. Had his best scoring campaign in the PL last season - 11 goals.
Head to Head
• This is the 166th Manchester derby in all comps - 149th in the League.
• This will be their 14th meeting in 4 years.
• City have won 3 of last 4 PL meetings, including the double over United in 2011-12. This included a 6-1 win at Old Trafford - United's biggest home defeat in 56 years.
• 6 red cards in 32 PL meetings (5 for United). Only City player to have been sent-off was Bernardo Corradi in Nov 2006.
• United have lost just 1 of their last 5 PL visits to the Etihad, winning 3.
• Six of the last seven meetings between Manchester City and Manchester United at the Etihad Stadium have seen fewer than two goals scored.
Referee: Howard Webb