Tomlinson takeover bid fails

Former Doncaster chairman John Ryan hopes Louis Tomlinson can still help the club following the collapse of their joint takeover bid.

Last Updated: 18/07/14 at 15:50

John Ryan: Done with football

John Ryan: Done with football

The singer announced last month, after weeks of speculation, that he was teaming up with businessman Ryan and their takeover was expected to be formalised on Friday.

But efforts to raise enough cash for the deal - through the Crowdfunder.co.uk website - have faltered with only £757,796 of the £2million target raised by Thursday's deadline from 514 backers.

A statement issued on Thursday by the Tomlinson Ryan Trust, established by the pair, said the failure to reach their target meant they were unable to meet the Football League's 'fit and proper person' test for club ownership.

Tomlinson has said he had been "misled" but hopes to stay involved, while Ryan, who last November stepped down as club chairman, confirmed the joint venture was over and that he was finished with football for good.

Ryan told Press Association Sport: "When Louis says he was misled, he's certainly not referring to me, I spoke to him on Thursday.

"I don't want to go into the ins and outs. As far as I'm concerned the whole thing is finished.

"I'm finished with football. I just want to live my life a different way now.

"I hope Louis does stay involved because he's a great supporter of the club and I know he will do all he can.

"But the reality is, in my opinion, it's over. Maybe down the line, certainly where Louis is concerned, he will be able to get involved again.

"But our partnership hasn't worked out. The crowd-funding was an absolute failure, but it's been a combination of that and the Football League's stance.

"I don't want to go into into details. I don't want to go there."

Lifelong fan Tomlinson and Ryan hosted a press conference last month outlining their plans for the takeover and launching the crowd-funding bid.

Those who have pledged cash will not lose out as they do not have to pay up if a project does not meet its target under Crowdfunder's rules.

A spokesman for the investment site said: "Crowdfunder is an all-or-nothing model. If a project doesn't reach its target, no money is taken from backers."

The Trust's statement on Thursday said the takeover was in "serious doubt", although it had previously stated that would take place irrespective of the success or failure of its crowd-funding project.

Ryan is understood to have met with Football League representatives this week in a bid to reassure them he and Tomlinson had the finances to run the club.

He added: "I've given my all for 20 years, including about £10million, and although I wouldn't say I feel embittered I've had enough.

"I've got two daughters and they're both telling me I look ill. They've said they want a dad, not an owner of a football club anymore.

"I've decided not to be an owner. I will walk away completely from football - there's a lot of things I don't like about it.

"But I wish Doncaster well and I hope they do really well next season."

The Football League issued a statement on Thursday night saying it had yet to receive an acceptable business plan from Ryan and Tomlinson.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

B

enteke is an absolute steal for £32.5m, he would get into any team in the world (except Barcelona) at the moment. I've seen many very good strikers in my 30+ years as a Villa fan. This guy is the best without question.

sparkigol
Benteke's £32.5m release clause

A

ll he wants are sharks with frickin lazers on their heads. Is that too much to ask?

mufc phil
Bomb threat on FIFA D-day

W

hy is the dinosaur trying to hold on to this.... Just leave... No one wants you in this position you corrupt loser. Let someone else take over....

arsenal121
Defiant Sepp blames minority

Footer 365

Sepp Blatter claims he knows how to fix FIFA after re-election

Sepp Blatter says he knows how to fix FIFA’s broken reputation after a traumatic week for football’s governing body.

Sepp Blatter will not last two years, says FA chairman Greg Dyke

FA chairman Greg Dyke is not surprised Sepp Blatter won a fifth term as FIFA president but he does not expect him to even last two years.

One-time FIFA presidential candidate Luis Figo scathing of Sepp Blatter

One-time FIFA presidential candidate Luis Figo was scathing in his criticism of Sepp Blatter after the Swiss was voted in for a fifth term.

Mail Box

Players Must Stand Up For Qatar Boycott

Players, not bureaucrats, hold the key to boycotting Qatar. Also in the afternoon mailbox: Wenger is right to rotate, Zlatan can dribble, and it's Barca v Ajax in the budget final...

What Would You Do If You Were Blatter?

Step into Sepp's shoes, is the invitation from one mailboxer. Also: United already have their new number one, Rodgers deserves time, and the best Budget XI so far...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company