Teenage Millwall fan banned

Millwall have announced that a 13-year-old boy has been banned from attending their matches for "the foreseeable future" after he admitted to verbally abusing Bolton's Marvin Sordell.

Last Updated: 07/11/12 at 12:49 Post Comment

Millwall: Keen to educate banned fan

Millwall: Keen to educate banned fan

More of the games that matter

Watch Manchester City v Manchester United live only on Sky Sports this Super Sunday. Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

The Trotters forward complained that he had been racially abused after the Championship match at The Den on 6 October.

And Millwall have released a statement which read: "Having completed our investigations into the incident, we have identified and interviewed a 13-year-old boy who admitted a verbal exchange with Marvin Sordell in which abuse was used.

"The individual has been banned from Millwall matches for the foreseeable future but, as a club, we also felt, given the boy's age and background, we had a duty to play our part in attempting to educate and rehabilitate him.

"Accordingly, we have offered to put him through one of our education programmes, run by Millwall for All, in the hope that we can change his outlook on equality, racism and life in general.

"In the meantime, the boy has written a letter to Marvin Sordell offering his apology, which has been accepted."

The Millwall statement also made it plain that the club was unhappy with the media coverage of the incident.

The statement continued: "We would also like to put on record how disappointed everybody at Millwall FC was in the way in which the initial allegations were reported in some sections of the media.

"These reports were made with no knowledge of the facts and created the impression that Bolton players were subjected to racial chanting or systematic abuse by more than one individual. We trust that, now the facts have emerged, certain individuals will reflect on their reports.

"Finally, it is our hope that all of us within football can continue to work together to build on the progress that has been made over many years in effectively tackling the issue of racism in our game."

FA supports Millwall action

The FA and Bolton both released statements expressing their satisfaction with the way the incident had been handled.

The FA said: "We applaud both Millwall FC and Bolton Wanderers FC for their commitment and cooperation in ensuring a full and thorough investigation could take place. The FA fully supports Millwall's approach in terms of dealing with the young individual responsible."

And Bolton said: "We would like to thank the FA and Millwall for their co-operation and assistance in responding to the events at The Den.

"Marvin Sordell would like to thank the FA, the PFA and Kick it Out for their support, and Millwall for the way in which they dealt with this."

More of the games that matter

Watch Manchester City v Manchester United live only on Sky Sports this Super Sunday. Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

H

e might be on a hiding to nothing, but I cannae feel any sympathy- You want to know why? Shakira. That's why.

hairpolice
Pique Taking Blame Burden Again...

A

nd this season must feel like one long sigh at the Emirates . Yep, exactly that. Except for Alexis Sanchez, he's ace.

cheshire-gooner
Is Mario Balotelli's Talent Even That 'Obvious'?

H

ey! At least put our first clean sheet in a gazillion years in the winners section. Curse you F365 *shakes fist*

fouloleron
Is Mario Balotelli's Talent Even That 'Obvious'?

Footer 365

Transfer News: Hull's Tom Ince joins Nottingham Forest on loan until December 28

Nottingham Forest have signed Tom Ince on loan from Hull City on a deal until December 28.

Blackpool confirm appointment of Lee Clark as manager on rolling contract

Lee Clark has been confirmed as the new manager of Championship club Blackpool on a one-year rolling contract.

Transfer news: Napoli rule out move for Liverpool's Mario Balotelli

Napoli sporting director Riccardo Bigon has dismissed talk linking the club with a move for Liverpool's Mario Balotelli.

Mail Box

Wenger Kept His Pride By Turning Down Cesc

What message would it have sent if Wenger had allowed those that walked out to stroll back in? Plus, why Pochettino needs to adapt and the folly of limiting yourself...

You Can't Laud Rodgers But Lambast AVB

If Rodgers is praised despite Suarez, you can't say AVB only did well through Bale. Plus, a lot more of 2Players1Name, and why Tom Huddlestone set a trend...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property