Arrests after offensive banner

Six people have been arrested after a banner attacking a footballer who was racially abused by a Millwall fan was unfurled at the club's ground, police have confirmed.

Last Updated: 12/11/12 at 09:55

More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

The banner was unveiled in a Millwall section of the Lion's New Den ground during their 2-1 win against Derby on Saturday.

It related to Bolton striker Marvin Sordell, who was abused by fans while warming up for his side's game at the East London team's stadium on October 6, leading to a 13-year-old boy being banned from the ground.

Sordell, 21, who represented Great Britain at the London 2012 Olympics, has faced racial abuse on Twitter since that incident.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said the arrests were made over alleged public order offences.

"Six males were arrested during the game at Millwall in relation to a banner being unfurled at the game," he said.

"They remain in custody at this time. The banner on display today was swiftly removed by Millwall staff."

The club refused to comment on the issue, and assistant manager Joe Gallen - standing in for Lions manager Kenny Jackett, who missed the game with flu - also opted not to discuss the matter.

Sordell took to Twitter after the Millwall match last month to claim himself and team-mates Lee Chung-young, Darren Pratley and Benik Afobe were subjected to racist taunts.

That sparked an investigation led by both clubs and last week Millwall confirmed the boy in question admitted to abusing Sordell and subsequently issued a written apology which the player accepted.

Given his age, Millwall have not imposed a life ban on the youngster and offered him a place on a "Millwall for All" educational programme, "in the hope that we can change his outlook on equality, racism and life in general".

More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

O

ne of the conclusions from this list is that Man City should never buy a striker in January - good luck Wilfried Bony....

Savinator
F365's Top Ten Worst January Panic Buys

I

was there, it was embarrassing - the team looked totally unbalanced from the off, the defence was woeful and when Mikel came off injured it got even worse with nobody in front of them. Up front on several occasions we had opportunities and nobody would shoot - it was a complete farse! On the back of Salah's performance I'm glad there is talk of getting shot...

Fly1ngh1gh
Cup defeat shames Mourinho

G

reat to see Tommy Rosicky getting some love. A wonderful player. Such a pity we lost so long to injury. I was so excited when we signed him, this resurgence only makes the absences seem more of a lost opportunity.

cheshire-gooner
16 Conclusions: FA Cup Fourth Round Weekend

Footer 365

Transfer news: Samuel Eto'o leaves Everton for Sampdoria on free transfer

Samuel Eto'o has completed his free transfer from Everton to Sampdoria on a two-and-a-half-year deal.

Premier League: Stoke striker Bojan will miss remainder of the season through injury

Stoke forward Bojan will miss the remainder of the season after sustaining a knee ligament injury against Rochdale.

Sky sources: Football Association to endorse Prince Ali's bid for FIFA presidency

Sky sources understand the Football Association will back Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein's bid to become FIFA president.

Mail Box

The Problem With FA Cup Shocks...

...is that the draw for the next round is pretty shocking. Blackburn v Stoke, anybody? We also have mails on LVG and ManUnited, who drew plenty under Fergie...

You're Man Utd, For Crying Out Loud!

Defending a 0-0 draw with Cambridge on the grounds that other teams lost to lower-league opposition is not befitting of Man United. We're inclined to agree with Mailboxers...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company