One-match ban for Adriano

UEFA has banned Shakhtar Donetsk striker Luiz Adriano for one Champions League match for his lack of fair play against Nordsjaelland.

Last Updated: 27/11/12 at 21:03 Post Comment

Luiz Adriano: One-match ban for scoring 'unfair' goal

Luiz Adriano: One-match ban for scoring 'unfair' goal

Free £50 bet

Daily Offers and Promotions, sign up for a free £50 matched bet

UEFA's disciplinary panel found the Brazilian forward guilty of "violation of the principles of conduct" in Denmark last week, and he was also ordered to "perform one full day of community football service."

An uncontested drop ball was deliberately kicked by a Shakhtar player towards the Nordsjaelland goalkeeper to hand back possession to the hosts, but Adriano latched on to it, raced towards the keeper, skipped past him and slotted the ball home to the disbelief of the Danes and his own team-mates.

Luiz Adriano will miss Shakhtar's home match against Juventus on December 5 which will decide if the Ukrainian champions are seeded in the knockout draw.

The controversial goal made it 1-1, and he eventually scored three in a 5-2 victory which sealed Shakhtar's place in the last 16.

Shakhtar accepted the sanctions and admitted Luiz Adriano had set a bad example with "unacceptable" actions.

The club said it a statement: "Before the beginning of the UEFA hearing regarding Luiz Adriano's case, Shakhtar Donetsk made it very clear publicly that it would accept UEFA's decision in regard to the player.

"We apologised and expressed deep disappointment over the incident, which occurred during a Champions League match with FC Nordsjaelland on November 20.

"Shakhtar Donetsk strongly believe that fair play is a fundamental part of football. Our players fully understand that they are role models for Shakhtar's young fans and the entire football community as a whole, and such actions on their part are not acceptable."

Free £50 bet

Daily Offers and Promotions, sign up for a free £50 matched bet

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

think all those names linked to United exits make sense. Kagawa has never really looked like hitting the form he had at Dortmund and Fellaini is radioactive after last season (even though I think he's been unfairly singled out for criticism). Nani and Anderson have had more than their fair share of chances so they are done, and Hernandez deserves better than warming a bench.

ted, manchester
The Insecure Gossip

H

e'll be off to Spurs (or better) in January and I don't blame him. Looking forward to re-signing Grant Holt as his replacement though.

notalentjones
Benteke ignoring speculation

I

n fairness, he does look absolutely shattered in that photo.....

FairyNuff
Shaw told to shape up

Footer 365

Premier League: Ross Barkley signs new four-year contract at Everton

Everton midfielder Ross Barkley has signed a new four-year deal with the club.

Transfer news: Southampton's chairman says Jay Rodriguez and Morgan Schneiderlin will stay

Jay Rodriguez and Morgan Schneiderlin will not be sold, according to Southampton chairman Ralph Krueger.

Transfer News: Reported Manchester United target Arturo Vidal 'happy' to stay at Juventus

Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri is convinced Arturo Vidal will remain with the club for the forthcoming season.

Mail Box

Youth Development Has To Be The Future

A varied Mailbox has thoughts on transfer targets, youth development, the obsession over 3-5-2, some innovative Blackpool suggestions and why Real bought Kroos...

Don't You Worry About Southampton...

We can't help but agree with one mailboxer who tries to calm the crisis-mongers gathering around Southampton, while we have mails on Man United's squad...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property