Allardyce accepts damages

West Ham manager Sam Allardyce has accepted substantial undisclosed damages from former Blackburn boss Steve Kean.

Last Updated: 16/01/13 at 14:21

Sam Allardyce: Accepts damages

Sam Allardyce: Accepts damages

More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

Kean had claimed that Allardyce was sacked from his previous post at Rovers because he was a "crook".

Allardyce brought defamation proceedings in London's High Court against Kean, who was Blackburn's manager during a summer 2011 pre-season tour of the Far East.

His solicitor, Hanna Basha, told Mr Justice Eady that the "false and defamatory" allegation, made while Kean was drinking in a bar in Hong Kong, was filmed on a camera phone and subsequently published to many hundreds of thousands of people over the internet and reported in the national press.

She said that Kean had acknowledged the allegation was completely untrue, withdrawn it, and agreed to pay a substantial sum in damages.

Kean's counsel, John Mehrzad, offered his apologies for the hurt and distress caused and said he was pleased to set the record straight.

Ms Basha said that Allardyce's claim against Blackburn had been settled and as the club had published an apology on its website, it was not a party to Wednesday's statement in court.

More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

A

nd yet... Jermain Defoe is still going to pronounce himself gobsmacked when he learns he hasn't made the England squad for the Euro qualifiers.

treeman1
Premier League Winners And Losers

W

e could release Diaby and then re-sign him when nobody else does and he would literally be like a new signing.

john matrix
The Machine Gossip

W

e pay the living wage, living wage, living wage, and that's the way we like it, we like it, we like it!!! Wooo ohhhh ooooohh

hump3.
All Premier League Clubs Should Be Paying Living Wage

Footer 365

Papiss Cisse will serve seven-match ban after admitting FA charge

Newcastle's Papiss Cisse will serve a seven-match ban after admitting an FA charge relating to Wednesday's spitting incident.

FA charges Newcastle's Papiss Cisse and Manchester United's Jonny Evans

The FA have charged Newcastle's Papiss Cisse and Manchester United's Jonny Evans over Wednesday's 'spitting' incident.

Jonny Evans issues denial as Papiss Cisse apologises in 'spitting' row

Manchester United's Jonny Evans has denied spitting at Papiss Cisse, while the Newcastle striker has apologised for his actions.

Mail Box

Have To Trust Managers On Mata

It's all very well bemoaning the lack of action for Juan Mata, but we have to trust the judgement of Van Gaal and Mourinho. Plus Martinez Out, and Leicester are doomed...

Should Gerrard Get In This Liverpool Side?

Never mind the long goodbye, should he actually get back into this excellent Liverpool side playing with pace? Mostly we talk Manchester United, though. It's good...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company