Hodgson plans without Terry

England boss Roy Hodgson has revealed John Terry has spoken to him to clear up reports that he was considering coming out of international retirement.

Last Updated: 16/05/13 at 14:50 Post Comment

John Terry: Not coming out of retirement

John Terry: Not coming out of retirement

Free £50 bet

Daily Offers and Promotions, sign up for a free £50 matched bet

With Rio Ferdinand announcing his decision to quit England duty on Wednesday, it was suggested it could pave the way for Terry to make a return to the international scene.

Reports emerged earlier this month that the Chelsea defender was considering featuring for England again after announcing his decision to step away from the national team last September.

However, Hodgson has explained Terry called him to clarify the rumours, with the England manager of the feeling the centre-back is planning to stick to his original decision.

"John did call me when stories broke to explain and my understanding is that he is in line with Rio and he is actually in retirement," said Hodgson.

"If push came to shove and we were desperate maybe we would turn to them - but it's a big 'but' and it's time to move forward.

"It's time for me to get behind the players who are there.

"I'm not going to call on younger players necessarily, but to get the behind the players I think will be the ones to take us to Brazil and do well for us."

Free £50 bet

Daily Offers and Promotions, sign up for a free £50 matched bet

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

think all those names linked to United exits make sense. Kagawa has never really looked like hitting the form he had at Dortmund and Fellaini is radioactive after last season (even though I think he's been unfairly singled out for criticism). Nani and Anderson have had more than their fair share of chances so they are done, and Hernandez deserves better than warming a bench.

ted, manchester
The Insecure Gossip

H

e'll be off to Spurs (or better) in January and I don't blame him. Looking forward to re-signing Grant Holt as his replacement though.

notalentjones
Benteke ignoring speculation

I

n fairness, he does look absolutely shattered in that photo.....

FairyNuff
Shaw told to shape up

Footer 365

Premier League: Ross Barkley signs new four-year contract at Everton

Everton midfielder Ross Barkley has signed a new four-year deal with the club.

Transfer news: Southampton's chairman says Jay Rodriguez and Morgan Schneiderlin will stay

Jay Rodriguez and Morgan Schneiderlin will not be sold, according to Southampton chairman Ralph Krueger.

Transfer News: Reported Manchester United target Arturo Vidal 'happy' to stay at Juventus

Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri is convinced Arturo Vidal will remain with the club for the forthcoming season.

Mail Box

Youth Development Has To Be The Future

A varied Mailbox has thoughts on transfer targets, youth development, the obsession over 3-5-2, some innovative Blackpool suggestions and why Real bought Kroos...

Don't You Worry About Southampton...

We can't help but agree with one mailboxer who tries to calm the crisis-mongers gathering around Southampton, while we have mails on Man United's squad...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property