Oscar signs Brighton deal

Brighton have confirmed that new head coach Oscar Garcia has signed a three-year deal, while his backroom team are also now in place.

Last Updated: 19/07/13 at 23:43 Post Comment

Oscar Garcia: Three-year deal at Brighton

Oscar Garcia: Three-year deal at Brighton

Free £50 bet

Daily Offers and Promotions, sign up for a free £50 matched bet

The Championship club announced on Friday night that Garcia had put pen to paper on his Albion contract earlier in the day.

The 40-year-old was initally appointed at the end of last month, but Brighton were forced to wait for the outcome of former manager Gus Poyet's appeal hearing before finalising details.

Garcia guided Maccabi Tel-Aviv to the Israeli Premier League title last season and has brought Juan Torrijo and Ruben Martinez with him to the Amex Stadium to be his assistant coaches.

In addition, Garcia has appointed former Brighton full-back Nathan Jones to the position of assistant head coach. Jones had previously held jobs at Yeovil and Charlton.

Speaking to the club's official website, Garcia said: "I'm delighted to have signed a long-term contract with the club and I'm now very much looking forward to the challenge ahead.

"Brighton is one of the most exciting clubs in Europe and the potential here is very good. The squad is strong and the footballing set-up is excellent. The aim is to continue the good progress that the club has made in recent seasons.

"I've already received a very warm welcome from the club's staff, players and supporters. Brighton and Hove is a very nice city, the stadium is superb, and a world-class training facility is being built for our use from next season.

"Pre-season preparations are going well and like the supporters, I'm looking forward to an exciting season."

Brighton begin their Sky Bet Football League Championship campaign with a tough fixture away to Leeds United on Saturday, August 3.

Free £50 bet

Daily Offers and Promotions, sign up for a free £50 matched bet

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

think all those names linked to United exits make sense. Kagawa has never really looked like hitting the form he had at Dortmund and Fellaini is radioactive after last season (even though I think he's been unfairly singled out for criticism). Nani and Anderson have had more than their fair share of chances so they are done, and Hernandez deserves better than warming a bench.

ted, manchester
The Insecure Gossip

H

e'll be off to Spurs (or better) in January and I don't blame him. Looking forward to re-signing Grant Holt as his replacement though.

notalentjones
Benteke ignoring speculation

I

n fairness, he does look absolutely shattered in that photo.....

FairyNuff
Shaw told to shape up

Footer 365

Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal declared himself 'very pleased' after they beat Inter on penalties

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal was very happy with his team’s performance against Inter.

Premier League: Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard reflects on tough three months

Steven Gerrard is looking to finish his career on a high after 'two massive lows' with Liverpool and England.

Premier League: Luke Shaw agrees with Louis van Gaal criticism about his fitness

Manchester United new boy Luke Shaw says boss Louis van Gaal was right to criticise him for a lack of fitness.

Mail Box

Youth Development Has To Be The Future

A varied Mailbox has thoughts on transfer targets, youth development, the obsession over 3-5-2, some innovative Blackpool suggestions and why Real bought Kroos...

Don't You Worry About Southampton...

We can't help but agree with one mailboxer who tries to calm the crisis-mongers gathering around Southampton, while we have mails on Man United's squad...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property