Lukaku: quenelle 'not a big deal'

Romelu Lukaku has said that 'a big deal' should not be made of Nicolas Anelka's 'quenelle' gesture.

Last Updated: 22/01/14 at 09:52

In an interview with the Everton website that has subsequently been removed, Lukaku said he didn't believe Anelka should be banned for supporting French comedian Dieudonne M'bala M'bala.

Lukaku said: "He's been my idol since I was a kid. He still is. I think he shouldn't be banned for that [quenelle]. He was just like supporting a stand-up comedian in France. We don't have to make such a big deal about it.

"He's an adult. I hope he doesn't get suspended because he's a player people want to see play on the pitch."

West Brom's French forward is considering his options after being charged with an aggravated offence by the FA over his controversial 'quenelle' goal celebration.

The quenelle has been described as an inverted Nazi salute, and was created by French comedian Dieudonne M'Bala M'Bala, who has been prosecuted for anti-Semitism. Anelka is a friend of Dieudonne's and the player has insisted his salute was a gesture of support and aimed at the French establishment.

Anelka has denied the salute was anti-Semitic, but Jewish groups say if the charge is proved then the 32-year-old's lack of contrition should lead to an even more severe sanction than the five-match ban introduced by the FA this season as a minimum punishment for aggravated offences relating to ethnic origin, race or religion.

West Brom said in a statement: "Anelka has received a 34-page document explaining the allegations against him and informing him that he has until 6pm on Thursday to respond. The player is now considering his options.

"Under FA rules, Anelka remains available for first-team selection until the FA's disciplinary process has reached its conclusion. Following this, the club will conclude its own internal enquiry."

The FA brought in an academic expert to help decide on whether charges should be brought and has spent several weeks working on the case due to its sensitivity.

A three-man independent regulatory commission will now be appointed to deal with the case - either to decide on the sanction if Anelka admits the charge or to hold a disciplinary hearing if he denies it.

The incident happened after Anelka scored during the 3-3 draw at West Ham on December 28.

An FA statement said: "It is alleged that, in the 40th minute of the fixture, Anelka made a gesture which was abusive and/or indecent and/or insulting and/or improper, contrary to FA Rule E3[1].

"It is further alleged that this is an aggravated breach, as defined in FA Rule E3[2], in that it included a reference to ethnic origin and/or race and/or religion or belief."

Football's anti-discrimination group Kick It Out, which has expressed frustration over the length of time taken to decide on the case, called for a swift conclusion.

A statement said: "The FA has previously demonstrated its commitment to taking effective and swift action to deal with all forms of abusive conduct in football, and has spent a longer time than desirable in order to give careful consideration to the allegations made in this case.

"Kick It Out hopes that this matter can now be quickly concluded."

Meanwhile, Mark Gardiner, director of communications for The Community Trust, who work to prevent racism and anti-Semitism in football, welcomed the charge for Anelka.

"Certainly we welcome the FA charging Nicolas Anelka, and with it being aggravated behaviour the FA quite rightly has a zero tolerance in response to racism anti-Semitism and this gesture needs to be included in that," Gardiner said.

"We think it is a very serious matter and it should have an extensive sanction including a many match ban.

"But in this context Nicolas Anelka has introduced a very ugly fake gesture into British football and into British society and we now run the risk of anti-Semites making this gesture against British Jews which is a terrible situation to be in.

"I think that Nicolas Anelka is in support for his friend makes matters worse, Dieudonne M'bala M'bala has a string of convictions for anti-Semitic behaviour.

"In November he was fined 28,000 euros for a song that derides the holocaust and mocks victims of the holocaust and then December more charges were laid because he said a Jewish journalist reminded him of gas ovens, so saying this makes matters worse.

"There is no doubt that we wish action had been taken sooner but this was at the beginning a complicated matter but everyone now knows what the gesture means and the FA's action is appropriate."

He is making a habit of saying naïve things publicly
- ted maul

Football365 Facebook Fan Page

The Football365 fan page is a great place to meet like minded people, have football related discussions and make new friends.

Related News

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

may well get slated by other United fans for this, but out of the three contenders, I'd far prefer Liverpool to win the title. Yes some elements of their fanbase can be a bit OTT, yes they're our biggest rivals and yes it will make our poor season feel even more like the end of an era (Fergie's gone, Liverpool are back on top). However I just have to applaud Brendan Rodgers and the way he's turned Liverpool around in just a couple of seasons. It...

Mike_Christie
Please Stop Telling Us What To Think

H

ooray! We are all excited now, we beat a very mediocre team! With all due respect to WHU supporters, not winning that game shouldn't even be a consideration. This is the problem, there is no winning mentality at the Emirates - we're all congratulating ourselves beating a team that we have a winning record against.

TheWhiz
Wenger hails important win

I

s this meant to be an aspiration for United supporters? Moyes mediocrity strikes again. I see the Bayern boys don't want to sign for him, and his reputation amongst the senior European coaches make other key signings unlikely.

redbornandbred
De Gea's Europa League target

Footer 365

Contract news: Tim Howard has been handed an extension to his Everton contract

Tim Howard will be staying with Everton until at least 2018 after agreeing a two-year extension to his contract.

Neymar and Jordi Alba will miss the bulk of the remainder of the season

Barcelona forward Neymar has been ruled out for up to a month due to a left foot injury.

Transfer news: Southampton boss Mauricio Pochettino warns off Luke Shaw suitors

Mauricio Pochettino says in-demand defender Luke Shaw will be staying at Southampton.

Mail Box

Mignolet Is The Reason For Liverpool Flying

Mignolet's bad kicking is the reason for Liverpool's success, whilst one man keep notes on F365 mails. Plus England excitement, Arteta and a bad Walsall experience...

City: Bottle Jobs, A Laughing Stock...

There are some harsh words for Manchester City and Manuel Pellegrini in the Mailbox this morning, as well as some rather nicer ones for Tony Pulis and his magic hat...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property