New Hillsborough probe begins

Fresh inquests into the deaths of 96 Liverpool supporters at Hillsborough will begin in Warrington on Monday.

Last Updated: 31/03/14 at 13:21

Liverpool supporters hold scarves and shirts during a memorial service on the 24

Liverpool supporters hold scarves and shirts during a memorial service on the 24

Free £50 bet

Daily Offers and Promotions, sign up for a free £50 matched bet

The inquests were ordered in December 2012 when the High Court quashed the original accidental death verdicts which had stood for more than 20 years

Proceedings, to be heard by coroner Lord Justice Goldring, are expected to last up to nine months.

A jury will first be selected in the purpose-built courtroom in Birchwood Park, with opening statements from the coroner and the bereaved families due to be presented to the court later this week.

Later in the hearing the jurors will make a site visit to Hillsborough stadium in Sheffield but will be directed not to read the "deeply moving" tributes on the memorial to the tragedy.

Britain's worst sporting disaster happened on 15 April, 1989 during Liverpool's FA Cup semi-final against Nottingham Forest as thousands of fans were crushed on the ground's Leppings Lane terrace.

Verdicts of accidental death from the original Hillsborough inquest in March 1991 were quashed in December 2012 after the Hillsborough Independent Panel delivered its final report on the disaster earlier that year.

It was decided that the inquests would be held in Warrington after a split emerged between two separate campaign groups, with one side pushing for the inquiry to be held in London and the other calling for it to take place in the north west.

Free £50 bet

Daily Offers and Promotions, sign up for a free £50 matched bet

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

think all those names linked to United exits make sense. Kagawa has never really looked like hitting the form he had at Dortmund and Fellaini is radioactive after last season (even though I think he's been unfairly singled out for criticism). Nani and Anderson have had more than their fair share of chances so they are done, and Hernandez deserves better than warming a bench.

ted, manchester
The Insecure Gossip

H

e'll be off to Spurs (or better) in January and I don't blame him. Looking forward to re-signing Grant Holt as his replacement though.

notalentjones
Benteke ignoring speculation

I

n fairness, he does look absolutely shattered in that photo.....

FairyNuff
Shaw told to shape up

Footer 365

Premier League: Ross Barkley signs new four-year contract at Everton

Everton midfielder Ross Barkley has signed a new four-year deal with the club.

Transfer news: Southampton's chairman says Jay Rodriguez and Morgan Schneiderlin will stay

Jay Rodriguez and Morgan Schneiderlin will not be sold, according to Southampton chairman Ralph Krueger.

Transfer News: Reported Manchester United target Arturo Vidal 'happy' to stay at Juventus

Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri is convinced Arturo Vidal will remain with the club for the forthcoming season.

Mail Box

Youth Development Has To Be The Future

A varied Mailbox has thoughts on transfer targets, youth development, the obsession over 3-5-2, some innovative Blackpool suggestions and why Real bought Kroos...

Don't You Worry About Southampton...

We can't help but agree with one mailboxer who tries to calm the crisis-mongers gathering around Southampton, while we have mails on Man United's squad...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property