Inzaghi in as Seedorf sacked

AC Milan have sacked coach Clarence Seedorf after just five months at the helm and appointed his former team-mate Filippo Inzaghi as his replacement, the Italian giants confirmed on Monday.

Last Updated: 09/06/14 at 16:04 Post Comment

Clarence Seedorf: Sacked by AC Milan

Clarence Seedorf: Sacked by AC Milan

Bet £10 Get £30

Daily Offers And Promotions. Join Now & Bet £10 and Get a £30 Free Bet

Seedorf took charge at the San Siro in January following the dismissal of Massimiliano Allegri and was under contract with the Rossoneri for a further two years.

The 38-year-old, who had no prior coaching experience, fell out with the Milan hierarchy in recent months.

A statement from the club read: "AC Milan announces it has dismissed coach Clarence Seedorf and has handed the reins of the first team to Filippo Inzaghi until June 30, 2016."

Under Seedorf, Milan won seven of their last nine matches but finished a disappointing eighth in Serie A and failed to qualify for European football for the first time in 16 years.

Inzaghi recently revealed he was ready to coach the senior team.

The 40-year-old spent 11 seasons playing for the club, where he won two Serie A titles and two UEFA Champions League trophies, before retiring in 2012.

Inzaghi, who is the club's top scorer in European competition with 43 goals, has been in charge of Milan's youth team for the past two seasons.

His performances at the helm of the youth team impressed Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi.

When asked about Inzaghi last week as a possible replacement for Seedorf, Berlusconi said: "I see Inzaghi very determined.

"He is hungry for victories.

"He is consistent with what we want Milan to be, that is a team that goes out to win and wins convincingly.

"A team that wins fair and that makes the fans happy with their performances."

Inzaghi has yet to be unveiled to the media but everyone knows how he feels.

"Milan is my life and my story," Inzaghi told AC Milan's TV channel last week. "If I get some good news (regarding coaching the first team) then that's great. Otherwise, I am proud to continue coaching these boys."

It remains to be seen what personnel Inzaghi will have at his disposal next season.

There is speculation that midfielder Kaka will leave, with the Brazilian tempted to move to Major League Soccer.

The Rossoneri have signed former Paris St Germain defender Alex and are also expected to acquire winger Jeremy Menez from the French side on a free transfer.

Inzaghi will no doubt be keeping close tabs on Mattia De Sciglio, Ignazio Abate and Mario Balotelli - the three Milan players that have made Cesare Prandelli's Italy World Cup squad.

However, Inzaghi will not have club captain Riccardo Montolivo available for the start of the season with the experienced midfielder having fractured his shin in Italy's recent international friendly against the Republic of Ireland.

Going by last night's SoccerAid, he could come out of retirement. As long as he's playing against Jamie Theakston every week.
- sailingmagpie

Bet £10 Get £30

Daily Offers And Promotions. Join Now & Bet £10 and Get a £30 Free Bet

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

E

ven if United were to sign CR7 & Messi to play upfront, the fact remains Fletcher and Cleverly are playing in midfield. That's where the problem is. Fletcher is too slow with an awful pass, while Cleverly is simply rubbish

mrunited4life
Di Maria - A Signing of Necessity, or Opportunity?

T

hese days, these days, you can't say something racist without somebody saying that you're a racist.

tk421
'Wrong' Views Not Silenced By Shouting...

D

rop Rooney (he's so disappointing, overrated and overpaid), and play Di Maria and RVP upfront, much like the set up at the Netherlands team with Roben and RVP...

eric bush3
Di Maria - A Signing of Necessity, or Opportunity?

Footer 365

Manchester United signing Angel di Maria claims he was forced out of Real Madrid

Manchester United signing Angel di Maria has claimed he never wanted to leave Real Madrid.

Transfer news: Tottenham midfielder Lewis Holtby interests Hamburg

Hamburg director Dietmar Beiersdorfer has confirmed the club’s interest in Tottenham midfielder Lewis Holtby.

Transfer News: Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger won't panic buy a striker

Arsene Wenger has insisted Arsenal will not panic buy a striker, if Olivier Giroud is ruled out for a lengthy spell.

Mail Box

Well, This Isn't Going That Well Is It?

Plenty of fall out from Manchester United's shambolic 4-0 League Cup defeat, plus thoughts on Van Persie, Arsenal strikers, Benik Afobe, Celtic and Astroturf...

Not Getting Carried Away On Spurs... But

A couple of Spurs fans have broken rank to admit that they are bloody excited about things down the Lane. Plus Glen Johnson, Arsene on strikers and Moreno...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property