Suarez denies bite accusation

Uruguay striker Luis Suarez has told FIFA's disciplinary panel that he did not bite Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini when the two sides met in Natal on Tuesday.

Last Updated: 03/07/14 at 10:39 Post Comment

Luis Suarez: Claims he did not bite Giorgio Chiellini

Luis Suarez: Claims he did not bite Giorgio Chiellini

More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

Suarez has returned to Uruguay after he was fined, thrown out of the World Cup and hit with a four-month ban from all football-related activity following the incident.

But in a letter to the FIFA panel dated June 25, the Liverpool striker insists his actions during the game have been misinterpreted.

"In no way it happened how you have described, as a bite or intent to bite,” Suarez wrote.

"After the impact ... I lost my balance, making my body unstable and falling on top of my opponent.               

"At that moment I hit my face against the player leaving a small bruise on my cheek and a strong pain in my teeth."

But the seven-man panel which met on Wednesday evening dismissed Suarez’s protestations.

The bite was "deliberate, intentional and without provocation," FIFA's disciplinary committee ruling read.

The ruling also confirmed that referee Marco Rodriguez of Mexico, his two assistants and the fourth official all missed the incident.

"I haven't seen the incident because the ball was in another sector of the pitch," Rodriguez wrote in his witness statement.

The disciplinary panel was chaired by former Switzerland international Claudio Sulser and included FIFA members from the Cook Islands, Hong Kong, Pakistan, Panama, South Africa and Singapore.

The panel's ruling stated: "The commission took into account that the offence was made directly against a player while the ball was not in dispute and that the offence was deliberate and intentional and without provocation.

"He bit the player with the intention of wounding him or at least of destabilising him.

"In such context the committee observes that the player had been sanctioned on previous occasions in club competition for similar acts."

Uruguay manager Oscar Tabarez has already stated his intention to resign from his role in FIFA's Technical Study Group in protest at a decision which he thinks has made a “scapegoat” of Suarez.

Meanwhile, the Uruguay football federation is to formally appeal against the sanction imposed on Suarez.

FIFA head of media Delia Fischer told a news conference in Rio de Janeiro: "We have received a declaration that they are planning to appeal. They informed us of their intention to appeal yesterday evening.

"The reasons for the appeal must now be given in writing within a deadline of seven days after the three days has expired."

Watch Suarez in Champions League action on Sky Sports 5 next season. Activate our brand new channel by clicking here.

More of the games that matter

Upgrade in minutes or watch with a NOW TV Day Pass.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

think that puts all doubts over Benteke's quality to bed. Can he do it after receiving the ball to feet, in the box, totally unmarked, on a warm, sunny afternoon in Swindon? Oh yes he can! This year is definitely Liverpool's year. YNWA.

rationalmanc
WATCH: Benteke's debut screamer

A

ll very well selling all midfield and strikers but unless we bring anyone in that is better than what we had then it will be a terrible transfer window in my view. Sorted out the defense but our midfield and striker options look very light.

bigo
Spurs Halfway To The Perfect Summer

L

ove it when Jose accuses others of being defensive, cynical and playing to win. If I was Wenger, I'd get that quote laminated and framed - surely the biggest compliment he's ever received from Mourinho. You've got him riled Arsene - you're relevant again!

suarez_blind
Jose rues pitch and weather after defeat

Footer 365

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has 'difficult questions'

Arsenal centre-half Per Mertesacker says manager Arsene Wenger has a lot of "difficult questions" to answer.

West Ham forward Enner Valencia ruled out for up to 12 weeks

West Ham forward Enner Valencia has been ruled out for up to 12 weeks with a leg injury.

Jordy Clasie says he'd have rejected move to Man United in order to join Southampton

Jordy Clasie claims he'd have rejected Man United to sign for Southampton - saying it's "better to start lower and finish higher".

Mail Box

There's A Lot Of Anger About TV...

...and how much you have to pay - largely for games you don't actually want to watch. Many of you are forced to go illegal. We also have mails on Chelsea, Angel di Maria and...

Not Just A Friendly. This Had Meaning...

Arsenal fans are very excited about beating Chelsea (don't remind them about last year), while there is criticism for BT and a football fan tired of being screwed by TV...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company