Scolari departure confirmed

The Confederation of Brazilian Football has confirmed that Luiz Felipe Scolari has resigned as Brazil head coach.

Last Updated: 15/07/14 at 12:03 Post Comment

Bet £10 Get £30

Daily Offers And Promotions. Join Now & Bet £10 and Get a £30 Free Bet

Scolari’s contract ended after the World Cup and he had said that he would let the CBF decide his fate after Brazil were beaten 3-0 by Netherlands on Saturday in the third-place play-off.

The Dutch defeat followed Brazil's 7-1 humiliation by Germany in the semi-finals, the worst result in their World Cup history, and the first time they had lost a competitive match at home since 1975.

Scolari's departure was announced following a meeting with CBF president Jose Maria Marin when it was decided that the 65-year-old's contract would not be renewed.

A statement from the CBF read: "Coach Luiz Felipe Scolari and his fellow coaching staff surrendered their positions to the board of the Brazilian Football Confederation.

"The resignation was accepted by president Marin, who was keen to thank all the coaches and players and, by extension, the Brazilian fans for their support throughout the World Cup campaign.

"Scolari and his entire coaching staff deserve our respect and gratitude. They were responsible for returning to the Brazilian people your love for the team, despite not having achieved our greatest goal."

Scolari led Brazil to their last World Cup triumph in 2002, when they won the competition a record fifth time, beating Germany 2-0 in the final.

Since his return to the manager’s post in 2013, Brazil have won 19, drawn six and lost four of his 29 games in charge.

Scolari also led the team to the Confederations Cup last summer.

Scolari insisted after Saturday’s loss to Netherlands that Brazil could still take some positives from their campaign.

He said: "We must praise our players even though we came up short at the end of the tournament. We didn't play badly today.

"I've managed in three World Cups. I've finished among the top four teams every time.

"I know the 7-1 defeat was the worst ever. But I can see a positive side (compared to the 2006 and 2010 campaigns).

"When a team let in seven and then concede within two minutes of the next game, it changes your perspective.

"This generation does not have to be scarred. We were in the top four teams in the world and won the Confederations Cup last year.

"I don't see how I can criticise my team today. We played well, battled back after going behind, had chances.”

Former Corinthians boss Tite, Sao Paulo coach Muricy Ramalho, and Brazil U20 manager Gallo are among those in the running to replace Scolari.

If his contract ended after the World Cup, how did he 'resign' today? In the same spirit, I'd like to announce my resignation as prime minister.
- fictionalemu

Bet £10 Get £30

Daily Offers And Promotions. Join Now & Bet £10 and Get a £30 Free Bet

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

G

reat article. Hits the nail on the head. Encapsulates why I don't read tabloid newspapers anymore. The only thing worse is the 'told you so first' headline when they get lucky.

ianonabeach
Time To Burst The ITK Bubble

F

amous. If that can be achieved whilst sitting in your pants and without any degree of hard work, all the better. I have no desire to be famous, but the rest of that line suits me just fine. Great article by the way, well worth the wait.

hunter sanchez
Time To Burst The ITK Bubble

T

here seems to be little focus on the performance of Besiktas. They played very well and stopped Arsenal from playing. Credit has to go to their manager. As much as Arsenal didn't play too well, we kept a clean sheet, but the home side made it very difficult.

Geddy76
Chambers' Poise Impresses Again

Footer 365

Transfer news: Marco Reus said to have turned down move to Manchester United

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has told Onda Cero that Marco Reus rejected a move to Man Utd this summer.

Transfer News: Swansea complete deal for Napoli defender Federico Fernandez

Swansea City have signed defender Federico Fernandez from Napoli for an undisclosed fee.

FIFA committee rejects Barcelona's appeal against transfer ban

Barcelona will be unable to sign new players in the next two windows after a FIFA committee upheld their transfer ban.

Mail Box

Mailbox: Feeling Sorry For Poor TC23

If there's one loser in all the machinations at Man United, it's poor TC23. We have mercifully few mails on United, but lots on Arsenal and in particular Olivier Giroud...

Dear Brendan, Please Sign Di Maria

That's the request to Brendan Rodgers in the mailbox, and not just because it would annoy Man United fans. Plus, more thoughts on why Arsenal didn't want Cescy back...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property