Wembley

Next Game

England v Lithuania

Friday, 27 March 2015, 19:45

European Qualifiers Group E

Celtic Park

Last Game

Scotland 1 - 3 England

Tuesday, 18 November 2014, 20:00

International Match

Ferdinand out of England squad

Manchester United centre-half Rio Ferdinand has pulled out of England's upcoming World Cup qualifiers against San Marino and Montenegro.

Last Updated: 18/03/13 at 17:23 Post Comment

Ferdinand: Forced out of England's double-header against San Marino and Mont

Ferdinand: Forced out of England's double-header against San Marino and Mont

The 34-year-old was forced to withdraw due to a detailed pre-planned training and medical programme he has been told to follow to help manage a long-standing back problem.

England boss Roy Hodgson met Ferdinand on Sunday before taking the decision to replace him with Tottenham's Steven Caulker.

At the meeting, Ferdinand confirmed he was keen to continue his England career and hoped to be selected for the summer and autumn fixtures ahead of the 2014 World Cup finals in Brazil.

It had been thought Hodgson would rest the 81-times capped defender for Friday's trip to San Marino but would consider him for the Montenegro tie four days later with Michael Dawson ruled out through injury.

"I'm disappointed Rio will not be available, but due to the detailed pre-planned training and medical programme he must follow it's not possible," said Hodgson.

"However, I was pleased he called and asked to meet with me. It was important to hear from him personally about the way he must manage his body between games.

"This is not to say he cannot play back-to-back games - he can and has proven so. He's out this time due to particular pre-planned details already in place for his programme.

"I must place on record how I was impressed with his commitment to playing for England and I look forward to hopefully selecting him for squads in the future."

Ferdinand said: "It was important for me to be able to speak with Roy face to face and explain the situation.

"One thing I made clear was my passion and commitment to represent my country is as strong as ever.

"It's disappointing I won't be able to play a part in the upcoming games but I told Roy I want to continue to be available for England and look forward to working with him in the future."

Caulker has been called up from Stuart Pearce's U21s for the senior matches on Friday, March 22 and the following Tuesday.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

d like to add players who push their team-mates out of the way to celebrate on their own

exhausted
The Ten Most Hated Things In Football

I

f I were Manuel Pellegrini I would keep quiet and hope the Board didn't notice City not winning anything. If he isn't sacked I'd be astonished.

lfcfan80
Pellegrini: I won't be sacked

S

till I suppose it still gives him at least another year in the job. By the time it comes around , he can always make up another excuse. First it was 3 months , then a year .....Next year ? Whats his excuse with Van Persie ?

spud1
Di Maria 'could peak next year'

Footer 365

Brendan Rodgers admits fear for Liverpool job after Palace defeat

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers admits he would not have been surprised had he been sacked earlier this season.

Boro claim top spot as Derby lose

Middlesbrough became the new Championship leaders as they took advantage of Derby's latest slip by beating Millwall 3-0.

Aston Villa 2-1 West Brom: Benteke's late show helps end Villa's long wait for a win

Tim Sherwood recorded his first win as Aston Villa boss as Christian Benteke's late penalty helped beat West Brom 2-1.

Mail Box

There Are Mitigating Circumstances For LVG

One Mailboxer is admant there are mitigating circumstances to LVG's struggles at Manchester Utd and he offers his four signings for next season...

LVG Stick Needs A Little Context...

LVG's rough ride from the media needs some context - then you would understand, while the Mailbox urges Nabil Bentaleb to go down...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company