Wembley

Next Game

England v Lithuania

Friday, 27 March 2015, 19:45

European Qualifiers Group E

Celtic Park

Last Game

Scotland 1 - 3 England

Tuesday, 18 November 2014, 20:00

International Match

Redknapp would reject England

QPR boss Harry Redknapp insists he would turn down any approach to manage England and blames his contract at Tottenham for his failure to succeed Fabio Capello.

Last Updated: 05/04/13 at 12:33 Post Comment

Harry Redknapp: QPR boss claims he would turn down England job

Harry Redknapp: QPR boss claims he would turn down England job

Redknapp was the strong favourite to fill a post he had long coveted when Capello resigned in February last year, only for the Football Association to appoint Roy Hodgson.

The 66-year-old QPR manager, who was sacked by Tottenham in June after failing to agree a new contract, believes the cost of luring him from White Hart Lane convinced the FA to look elsewhere.

"I wouldn't take it [the England job] now, no. Not now, not in the future," Redknapp told Twentyfour7 Football magazine.

"That was my time, really, if I was going to get it. Last year there were a lot of things that went against me surrounding that massive contractual clause.

"People will always deny that is the reason, the FA couldn't say that and I won't say, but it didn't help me.

"I had such a badly loaded contract it was crazy, in Tottenham's favour. That's what you get for not reading your contract properly.

"It was a massive amount that someone would have had to pay to get me out of it.

"If they sacked me it wasn't so massive and that was a bolt out of the blue, a shock, I genuinely never saw it coming."

Redknapp insists Tottenham's decision to sack him was made by owner Joe Lewis and not chief executive Daniel Levy.

"Was it Levy who cut the cord? It was other people, the owner of the club that decided," he said.

Redknapp took over at QPR late last year but has been unable to steer them clear of relegation trouble, with eight points currently between them and safety.

The manager has vowed to stay at Loftus Road even if they do go down this season.

He added: "I'd stay with the club and have a go at it. But it is so difficult to go back up. There are some decent teams in the Championship.

"I know I should be preparing but I don't even want to think about it."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

W

ell that really inspires me with confidence. No point in training, deciding on a coherent formation, or playing players in their best positions, let's just hope we get lucky.

mumbo_jimbo
Van Gaal: Luck is key

I

believe this is because for sepp Christmas is a 7 day feast finishing on the 25th

hiya
Blatter calls for early final

F

alcao really needs to shine now. Apparently according to the stats, he scores more when played up front alone. I wonder if Van Gaal will actually apply a formation to get the best out of him though.

anthracyte
Van Persie lay-off expected

Footer 365

Chelsea captain John Terry not planning England return despite Wembley heroics

John Terry has no plans to reconsider his international retirement despite an emotional Capital One Cup win at Wembley.

Eden Hazard says Chelsea desire strong for more trophies

Eden Hazard insists Chelsea will be relentless in their desire to add further honours to Sunday's Capital One Cup success this season.

Greg Dyke offers Wembley as venue for possible FIFA presidential debate

FA chairman Greg Dyke has offered Wembley Stadium to host a FIFA presidential debate, should one be arranged before May's election.

Mail Box

Jose Settles Most Boring Team Debate...

There's lots of reaction to Chelsea and Liverpool's wins on Sunday, plus one Mailboxer asking: Who is the Premier League's best midfielder?

Are Tottenham Right To Redevelop?

It's a really good Friday afternoon Mailbox, with thoughts on Spurs' ground development, the Europa league (leave it alone) and one man running for a very good cause...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company