St Jakob Park

Next Game

Switzerland v England

Monday, 08 September 2014, 19:45

Euro 2016 Qualifying Group E

Last Game

Costa Rica 0 - 0 England

Tuesday, 24 June 2014, 17:00

World Cup Group D

Hodgson plans revealed

Gareth Southgate has revealed that England manager Roy Hodgson may take some young players with him to the World Cup in addition to his 23-man squad for the tournament in Brazil.

Last Updated: 06/03/14 at 23:46 Post Comment

England manager Roy Hodgson may take some young players to Brazil.

England manager Roy Hodgson may take some young players to Brazil.

Under-21's boss Southgate is taking an Under-20's squad to the Toulon Tournament in France, and is intending to pick Raheem Sterling and Luke Shaw if Hodgson does not opt to take them to Brazil.

Winger Sterling and defender Shaw played in the 1-0 friendly win over Denmark on Wednesday having made the step up from the under-21s, and when asked if he would use them for Toulon if they were available, Southgate said: "Yes. Absolutely.

"They have both been a big part of what we have done so far.

"There is also the possibility Roy might take a couple of youngsters for the experience.

"That is something he is thinking about - maybe taking a couple of younger players to give them experience of just being around it.

"It hasn't been finalised but I am guessing it might be a couple of the players who are not young enough to play in Toulon. They might be in the frame for that.

"It is something we have just touched upon really. But I think it shows the joined-up thinking with the England teams in trying to give our young players the right experience."

Southgate certainly has no complaints over losing the services of Shaw - holder

of three under-21 caps and winner of his first senior one on Wednesday - to

Hodgson's group.

He said: "I felt with Luke that if we didn't lose him for the summer we probably would for the end of the (European Championship qualifying) campaign because we know that Ashley (Cole) won't keep going forever.

"So I've already been thinking about succession planning."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

think all those names linked to United exits make sense. Kagawa has never really looked like hitting the form he had at Dortmund and Fellaini is radioactive after last season (even though I think he's been unfairly singled out for criticism). Nani and Anderson have had more than their fair share of chances so they are done, and Hernandez deserves better than warming a bench.

ted, manchester
The Insecure Gossip

H

e'll be off to Spurs (or better) in January and I don't blame him. Looking forward to re-signing Grant Holt as his replacement though.

notalentjones
Benteke ignoring speculation

I

n fairness, he does look absolutely shattered in that photo.....

FairyNuff
Shaw told to shape up

Footer 365

Premier League: Yaya Toure happy to stay at Manchester City

Yaya Toure has reaffirmed his commitment to Manchester City, insisting he wants to stay for "as long as possible".

Champions League: Henning Berg hopeful of Legia Warsaw's chances against Celtic

Legia Warsaw boss Henning Berg hopes his side can get a positive result against Celtic in their Champions League tie.

Premier League: Ross Barkley signs new four-year contract at Everton

Everton midfielder Ross Barkley has signed a new four-year deal with the club.

Mail Box

Youth Development Has To Be The Future

A varied Mailbox has thoughts on transfer targets, youth development, the obsession over 3-5-2, some innovative Blackpool suggestions and why Real bought Kroos...

Don't You Worry About Southampton...

We can't help but agree with one mailboxer who tries to calm the crisis-mongers gathering around Southampton, while we have mails on Man United's squad...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property