Pulis rules out Begovic sale

Stoke boss Tony Pulis has no intention of letting Asmir Begovic, or any of his other key players, leave in January.

Last Updated: 06/12/12 at 10:55 Post Comment

Asmir Begovic: Going nowhere in January

Asmir Begovic: Going nowhere in January

Stoke boss Tony Pulis has no intention of letting goalkeeper Asmir Begovic, or any of his other key players, leave in January.

Reports have suggested that Manchester United and Liverpool are interested in the Bosnia international, who as an ever-present for the Potters in their 15 Barclays Premier League games this term has conceded only 12 goals and kept seven clean sheets.

Begovic was quoted earlier this week as saying he is happy to stay at Stoke and this morning Pulis, speaking ahead of Saturday's trip to Aston Villa, stressed his determination to keep hold of all his star men for the rest of the season.

Asked about the speculation linking Begovic with a move, Pulis said: "If a big club comes in for any of our players, then it is very difficult to say 'no, we are not going to do it.'

"You can talk as much as you want, though - one thing I will say is that it is a big year for us this year and we will not be selling any of our better players in the January window, and that is full stop.

"It is a massive year for every club in the Premier League and this football club realises and recognises that.

"You hope you get interest because it shows the player is playing really well.

"But there will be no sales. We will be looking to bring one or two in, but there will be no sales of any of the big players at this football club during the window."

Begovic had been quoted as saying: "As far as I know it's all speculation. It's always nice when the biggest teams in the world are looking at you.

"It's a compliment, but it doesn't mean anything.

"We keep our feet on the ground here and the manager wouldn't let that change.

"I have three-and-a-half years on my contract and I am concentrating on playing and staying in the team and trying to help the team be successful.

"I am happy here so there are no issues with that."

The 25-year-old joined Stoke from Portsmouth in 2010.

Meanwhile, Pulis is hopeful that striker Peter Crouch will be able to return to action against Villa.

Crouch, who missed last weekend's 1-0 victory at West Brom after losing some teeth in a collision with Newcastle's Fabricio Coloccini in the previous match, has had a mouth guard fitted and will be monitored in training ahead of the clash at Villa Park.

"He had a guard fitted yesterday down in London, he will try it today and we will see how he goes," Pulis said.

"We are hoping he will be okay and that that will be enough protection for him to be able to play on Saturday."


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week


Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

T

he uber commercialisation of the 90s has led to the point where this overly familar, try hard, jolly hockey sticks type fronts up a major football match on a weekly basis. Unlike the great presenters of yesteryear, I doubt he would even recognise the scent of Brut.

mufc phil
Football On TV: Jake Humphrey

H

opefully Jose turns up to the game wearing a T-Shirt with Costa's face on, that's the classy thing to do in these situations right?

Petulant_Radish
Costa loses appeal against ban

C

onfirmed. Nick Miller is a douche bag. Lazy, incoherent rant is what this article should be titled. And for the editor to have the temerity to pass this as acceptable writing is shocking. Ah well, anything for clicks right? You got mine. Well done. Your mother must be proud.

poolshortsdown
Gerrard Constantly Searching For That Final Hurrah

Footer 365

Les Hutchison's takeover of Motherwell has been ratified

Lanarkshire businessman Les Hutchison has completed his takeover of Scottish Premiership club Motherwell.

Mark Hughes in preliminary talks over new contract at Stoke City

Mark Hughes has revealed preliminary talks over him extending his stay as Stoke City manager are underway.

Cristiano Ronaldo admits he made a mistake against Cordoba, says Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti

Cristiano Ronaldo knows he made a mistake against Cordoba and accepts his two-game ban, according to Carlo Ancelotti.

Mail Box

'Costa Is A Bad Man. Suarez Is Not'

That's quite some claim. And yes, unfortunately we are still talking about this. We also have mails on Ronaldinho, possible replacements for Yaya Toure and more...

Red Mist Better Than Calculated Costa?

Hmmm. We're not sure about this argument - one Mailbox says Luis Suarez is easier to forgive because he is a little loco. We also have mails on Studge and more...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company