Szczesny sorry for dad's comments

Arsenal goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny has distanced himself from inflammatory comments made by his father.

Last Updated: 21/03/13 at 14:57 Post Comment   

Wojciech Szczesny: Says sorry for comments from his father

Wojciech Szczesny: Says sorry for comments from his father

Arsenal goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny has distanced himself from inflammatory comments made by his father in a Polish newspaper.

In an interview with Przeglad Sportowy, Maciej Szczesny accused Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger of using his son as a scapegoat for the club's poor season.

Maciej Szczesny's made the comments after Wojciech was dropped for the second leg of Arsenal's Champions League tie with Bayern Munich last week, with Wenger claiming the 22-year-old had been "mentally affected" by the number of games played.

The Poland international was then put on the bench for the Barclays Premier League win at Swansea, where Lukasz Fabianski kept a second consecutive clean sheet.

Although currently on international duty, Wojciech Szczesny responded to his father's outburst in a statement posted on Arsenal's official website.

"I would like to apologise for the comments made by my father which have been used by both Polish and English media," he said.

"I'd like to make it clear that those were the views and opinions of my father and not mine, and although I respect his views I cannot accept them as I find them disrespectful to the club I truly love.

"I have been at Arsenal Football Club for seven years now and I have always shown my full respect to the Club, Arsene Wenger, all the coaching staff, my team-mates and the fans.

"I've always felt that I received great support from the manager and the fans and I am fully focused on getting back to my best.

"I am proud to be a part of Arsenal and I see my future at this great club."

Szczesny's father, a former Poland international himself, was quoted as saying yesterday: "Wenger already started to look for the scapegoat. It is not the way the boss should behave.

"Wojciech has had two serious injuries. He played with one in April and May (last year). He shouldn't have agreed to play that time, but the coach insisted.

"Wojciech did not train the whole week and then a warm up on Friday and played the match on Saturday. He was naturally more susceptible to minor injuries and his form was going down.

"In my opinion Mr Wenger messed up a lot in April and May. I don't blame the young man who went along with his coach, his current lack of form is a result of those two months."


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week


Related News

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

may well get slated by other United fans for this, but out of the three contenders, I'd far prefer Liverpool to win the title. Yes some elements of their fanbase can be a bit OTT, yes they're our biggest rivals and yes it will make our poor season feel even more like the end of an era (Fergie's gone, Liverpool are back on top). However I just have to applaud Brendan Rodgers and the way he's turned Liverpool around in just a couple of seasons. It...

Mike_Christie
Please Stop Telling Us What To Think

H

ooray! We are all excited now, we beat a very mediocre team! With all due respect to WHU supporters, not winning that game shouldn't even be a consideration. This is the problem, there is no winning mentality at the Emirates - we're all congratulating ourselves beating a team that we have a winning record against.

TheWhiz
Wenger hails important win

I

s this meant to be an aspiration for United supporters? Moyes mediocrity strikes again. I see the Bayern boys don't want to sign for him, and his reputation amongst the senior European coaches make other key signings unlikely.

redbornandbred
De Gea's Europa League target

Footer 365

Premier League: Roberto Martinez hails Everton players after win over Manchester United

Roberto Martinez saluted the focus and adaptability of his Everton squad after a 2-0 victory over Manchester United.

Transfer news: Atletico Mineiro to take Nicolas Anelka to FIFA

Atletico Mineiro president Alexandre Kalil has said that he is considering taking Nicolas Anelka to FIFA.

Premier League: David Moyes admits defensive errors cost Manchester United at Everton

David Moyes feels Man Utd conceded 'terrible goals' on his return to Everton and says missing out on the top four hurts.

Mail Box

That's Why We Didn't Want Jose At United

There is plenty of reaction to Mourinho's antics (Isn't that exactly what he wanted?) plus thoughts on Connor Wickham, Fabio Borini, beach balls and Tim Sherwood...

Kieran's Not The Only One Keeping Notes

Another chap in the mailbox has been keeping notes on comments made by optimistic Man United fans. Plus, Garey Vance is offering a double-or-quits on his new tattoo...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property