Man United make new Fabregas bid

Manchester United have made a second bid for Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas.

Last Updated: 22/07/13 at 10:51 Post Comment

Cesc Fabregas: Manchester United transfer target

Cesc Fabregas: Manchester United transfer target

Manchester United have made a second bid for Barcelona and Spain midfielder Cesc Fabregas.

United confirmed last Monday that they had made a first offer for the former Arsenal star, and manager David Moyes said at a press conference in Yokohama on Monday that a second offer had been lodged.

Executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward returned to the UK ahead of schedule last Wednesday to carry out some urgent transfer business, and Moyes confirmed: "As I understand it, Ed had a response (to the first offer). We have made a second offer but Ed is dealing with it rather than me."

So far, United have not made any new signings this summer, other than Uruguay Under-20 star Guillermo Varela.

And whilst Moyes accepts there may come a time when he has to walk away from the deal, that position has not been reached yet.

"I think a point does come," said Moyes.

"But when you are interested in good players you want to give it every opportunity to materialise.

"I will hope things will continue to move forward.

"At this moment in time I can only tell you Ed Woodward is working hard to try and make the deals happen. We hope some of them will fall into place shortly."

In addition to Fabregas, Moyes has also been linked with marquee signings Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale, plus Everton duo Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini.

So far though, there has been no reinforcements.

And Moyes admitted he can understand why some fans are nervous.

"I can understand that feeling," he said.

"But there have been quite a few changes. Other managers have changed their clubs too and everybody thought this might be the summer when transfers are done later in the month.

"That was always the thought I had when I came into the club.

"You have to remember I only started on July 1, so in truth I have only been in the job three weeks at this present time."

Moyes confirmed he expects Michael Carrick, Jonny Evans and Alex Buttner will have recovered from minor injuries in time to face J League outfit Yokohama F Marinos on Tuesday.

Chris Smalling and Ashley Young could also play some part after recovering from foot and ankle injuries respectively, while Japan star Shinji Kagawa has also joined up.

"They probably won't start in this game but I want to get them involved," said Moyes of the latter trio.

"Young and Smalling have been training very hard back home and Shinji has been on holiday but he has been training.

"We will involve the three players as we go along."


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet


Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

O

K FIFA we're done, you can ban us now

jimmyjazz
Barcelona transfer ban upheld

A

h Daniel. I could spend hours on this subject putting the world to rights. You can even take a step back and ask why football fans (and society in general) have this need to know that something will happen before it actually does. There are times this important, when it comes to things like war, food production and natural disasters. A man you've never met changing his job? Not so much.

ajsr1982
Time To Burst The ITK Bubble

G

reat article. Hits the nail on the head. Encapsulates why I don't read tabloid newspapers anymore. The only thing worse is the 'told you so first' headline when they get lucky.

ianonabeach
Time To Burst The ITK Bubble

Footer 365

Transfer news: Juventus insist there is no truth in Arturo Vidal to Manchester United talk

Juventus director general Giuseppe Marotta insists there's no substance to the talk linking Arturo Vidal to Man United.

Transfer news: AC Milan yet to receive an offer from Liverpool for Mario Balotelli

AC Milan insist they have not received an offer from Liverpool for their controversial striker Mario Balotelli.

Transfer news: Marco Reus said to have turned down move to Manchester United

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has told Onda Cero that Marco Reus rejected a move to Man Utd this summer.

Mail Box

So Long And Good Luck To Nani

A Mailbox that offers best wishes to a departing hero, defends Olivier Giroud, tells us to steady on over Calum Chambers and makes some amusing predictions...

Mailbox: Feeling Sorry For Poor TC23

If there's one loser in all the machinations at Man United, it's poor TC23. We have mercifully few mails on United, but lots on Arsenal and in particular Olivier Giroud...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property