Zubizarreta agrees new deal

Barcelona sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta has agreed a two-year contract extension to remain in the role until 2016.

Last Updated: 07/11/13 at 13:27 Post Comment

Andoni Zubizarreta: Staying at Barcelona

Andoni Zubizarreta: Staying at Barcelona

The 52-year-old former Barca goalkeeper took up his present position in July 2010, replacing Txiki Begiristain, and will put pen to paper on his fresh deal in the next few days.

"Andoni Zubizarreta will continue as sporting director until the end of the 2015/16 season. after the club announces on Thursday the renewal of his contract," a statement on fcbarcelona.cat read.

"Barcelona and the sporting director have agreed to extend the contract binding the two parties, which had been due to expire on June 30, 2014, for a further two years until June 30, 2016.

"The signing of the new contract will take place in the coming days."

Zubizarreta has overseen two managerial changes so far in his reign at the Nou Camp, with Tito Vilanova replacing Pep Guardiola in summer 2012 and Gerardo Martinez arriving at the start of this season following Vilanova's resignation on health grounds.

He has also been a key figure in reinforcing the Barca squad, bringing in the likes of Cesc Fabregas, Alexis Sanchez and Neymar.


New Sky Bet customers: Claim free £5 bet every week


Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

W

ell that really inspires me with confidence. No point in training, deciding on a coherent formation, or playing players in their best positions, let's just hope we get lucky.

mumbo_jimbo
Van Gaal: Luck is key

I

believe this is because for sepp Christmas is a 7 day feast finishing on the 25th

hiya
Blatter calls for early final

F

alcao really needs to shine now. Apparently according to the stats, he scores more when played up front alone. I wonder if Van Gaal will actually apply a formation to get the best out of him though.

anthracyte
Van Persie lay-off expected

Footer 365

Wayne Rooney says Roger East got Wes Brown red card wrong

Wayne Rooney insists Wes Brown’s controversial red card against Manchester United must now be rescinded.

Mark Hughes angered by officials in Stoke win over Hull

Mark Hughes was pleased with Stoke's 1-0 win over Hull but angered after the officials missed a challenge on Stephen Ireland.

Sean Dyche downbeat after Burnley lose to Swansea defeat at Turf Moor

Burnley boss Sean Dyche says his side must start turning performances into wins after losing 1-0 to Swansea at Turf Moor.

Mail Box

Are Tottenham Right To Redevelop?

It's a really good Friday afternoon Mailbox, with thoughts on Spurs' ground development, the Europa league (leave it alone) and one man running for a very good cause...

Rodgers Is More Of A Paisley Than A Rafa

Most Liverpool fans in the Mailbox are claiming to be pleased to see the back of the Europa League. Plus merging the Europa and Champions League, and winter WC...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company