Cellino must wait to hear verdict

Potential Leeds owner Massimo Cellino must wait to discover the outcome of his appeal to the Football League.

Last Updated: 31/03/14 at 18:58 Post Comment

Massimo Cellino: Appeal judgement reserved

Massimo Cellino: Appeal judgement reserved

Massimo Cellino must wait a little longer before learning whether his appeal against the Football League board's decision to block his £25million takeover of Leeds has been successful.

The League disqualified Cellino, 57, from becoming owner or a director of the club last week following his recent conviction in a Sardinia court for tax evasion.

Cellino's legal representatives in London, Mishcon de Reya, lodged a formal appeal on Thursday on the grounds that the Italian businessman has appealed against that conviction and remains innocent in Italian law until the appeals process is completed.

The League claim Cellino's conviction bars him from taking control at Elland Road under its owners' and directors' test.

An independent QC heard both sides of the argument in London on Monday and requires more time to consider the case further.

A brief Football League statement read: "Massimo Cellino's appeal under The Football League's Owners' and Directors' Test has now concluded with the Independent QC reserving his judgment."

The independent QC's ruling could have serious ramifications for Leeds, who were unable to pay the players' wages in full on Friday.

Manager Brian McDermott, his backroom staff and players agreed to defer 50 per cent of their March salary until after the appeal had been heard.

Current owner Gulf Finance House Capital and Cellino are in dispute over who is responsible for the players' wages.

Bahrain-based investment firm GFH Capital claim Cellino is responsible for funding the club's running costs under the terms of the deal to sell him 75 per cent of the club's shares.

Contracts between GFH Capital and Cellino's company, Eleonora Sport, were exchanged on February 7, while the Italian is understood to have already invested around £10million in the club.

But Cellino refused to make further funds available last week following the League's refusal to allow his takeover and fans now fear the club is heading towards administration.


New Sky Bet customers: Free matched bet up to £30


Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

s that Subbuteo's Shaun Wright-Phillips? Crikey, I thought he'd retired. Although I guess 'Only' QPR is like a retirement home.

duckman
The Earl Grey Gossip

C

an we release him in January?

dhirt11
Gerrard: I would leave Anfield

E

xcellent! Not sure if he is any good as a manager (never thought about it) but the 'headbutt in the technical area' and what he said to Pelligrini were just brilliant, it was as if he was trying to recreate the end of the Alan Partridge Xmas special when Alan punched a man in a wheelchair and verbally abused Tony Heirs.

beachend
Football Managers On TV: Alan Pardew

Footer 365

Premier League: Wenger not ruling out Arsenal title bid

Arsene Wenger is not ruling the Gunners out of the title race despite being nine points behind leaders Chelsea.

Manchester United in talks with AC Milan over January friendly

Manchester United are in talks with AC Milan about playing a friendly in the new year.

Steven Gerrard says Daniel Sturridge is the best English striker

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard believes Daniel Sturridge is the best English striker he has played alongside.

Mail Box

Is Ancelotti A Better Boss Than Mourinho?

That's one shout in the mailbox, although not as controversial as the mail imploring Jose Mourinho to sign Steven Gerrard in January so he can win the title he deserves...

'Pride' Didn't Stop Wenger Signing Flamini

Arsene Wenger's 'pride' in signings is quite rightly pulled apart. We also have a stupidly long email on going back, and one Mailboxer whooping about the FA Cup first round...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property