Osieck apologises over remarks

Australia coach Holger Osieck has apologised over an alleged sexist remark he made after the 4-0 win over Jordan in a World Cup qualifying match in Melbourne on Tuesday.

Last Updated: 12/06/13 at 10:14 Post Comment

Holger Osieck: Apologised for alleged sexist remark

Holger Osieck: Apologised for alleged sexist remark

The German-born coach had just seen his side move up to second in Asian qualifying Group B when he quipped "women should shut up in public" to journalists.

Osieck was taking his seat at a press conference following the game when he jokingly accused a female Football Australia official of ordering him around.

Osieck then said something in German, before translating it as "women should shut up in public. I say it to my wife at home, it is a private one, OK."

He added: "And you record that one as well? I am going to be the darling of all Australian wives."

On Wednesday Osieck tried to downplay the remarks, claiming they had been made off the record.

He told a media conference: "I got information it created waves. That was not the intent. To everyone offended, I sincerely apologise.

"It was off the record and ... a complete misunderstanding. It was more meant as a joke. There was no seriousness in it.

"If my wife knows I'll probably be in big trouble when I get home."

TEAMtalk Facebook Fan Page

The TEAMtalk fan page is a great place to meet like minded people, have football related discussions and make new friends.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

think all those names linked to United exits make sense. Kagawa has never really looked like hitting the form he had at Dortmund and Fellaini is radioactive after last season (even though I think he's been unfairly singled out for criticism). Nani and Anderson have had more than their fair share of chances so they are done, and Hernandez deserves better than warming a bench.

ted, manchester
The Insecure Gossip

H

e'll be off to Spurs (or better) in January and I don't blame him. Looking forward to re-signing Grant Holt as his replacement though.

notalentjones
Benteke ignoring speculation

I

n fairness, he does look absolutely shattered in that photo.....

FairyNuff
Shaw told to shape up

Footer 365

Premier League: Ross Barkley signs new four-year contract at Everton

Everton midfielder Ross Barkley has signed a new four-year deal with the club.

Transfer news: Southampton's chairman says Jay Rodriguez and Morgan Schneiderlin will stay

Jay Rodriguez and Morgan Schneiderlin will not be sold, according to Southampton chairman Ralph Krueger.

Transfer News: Reported Manchester United target Arturo Vidal 'happy' to stay at Juventus

Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri is convinced Arturo Vidal will remain with the club for the forthcoming season.

Mail Box

Youth Development Has To Be The Future

A varied Mailbox has thoughts on transfer targets, youth development, the obsession over 3-5-2, some innovative Blackpool suggestions and why Real bought Kroos...

Don't You Worry About Southampton...

We can't help but agree with one mailboxer who tries to calm the crisis-mongers gathering around Southampton, while we have mails on Man United's squad...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property