David Moyes has suffered a blow to his Manchester United rebuilding plans after Barcelona boss Tito Vilanova claimed Cesc Fabregas has no intention of leaving the Nou Camp.
Whilst there were indications that Moyes' interest in Thiago Alcantara had cooled before the Spain Under-21 star elected to join Bayern Munich, the same claim cannot be made of Fabregas.
When United made their £26million bid on Monday it was assumed Moyes had been given an indication he had a chance of landing a player who would undoubtedly strengthen his squad.
Speaking on Tuesday, though, Vilanova could not have been clearer in his rebuttal.
"I'm aware there have been offers. I had a conversation with him and he told me that he wanted to continue here and that he didn't want to go to another big club," said the Barca chief.
"He wants to succeed here."
The stance would be no surprise given how keen the 26-year-old was to return to the club of his youth two years ago.
However, it leaves Moyes in the tricky situation of deciding whether to back off or push the situation further with no guarantee of success.
With United privately distancing themselves from claims Benfica defender Ezequiel Garay is on the brink of becoming Moyes' first signing and PSV Eindhoven midfielder Kevin Strootman bound for Serie A outfit Roma, still fans wait for the significant signing they felt sure would have been made by now.
It is anticipated a move for Everton's Marouane Fellaini will eventually come amid suggestions the Belgian would prefer to link up with his former boss at Old Trafford than join Arsenal.
Such is Moyes' knowledge of the Fellaini situation, completing the transfer should be no problem if it gets activated.
Meanwhile Vilanova admits he was disappointed to see Thiago leave but understands the player's reasons as he joins former Barca coach Pep Guardiola at Bayern.
Vilanova said: "I don't feel bad that Guardiola has taken Thiago, I feel bad that he's left Barcelona. We did everything we could for him to stay.
"I wanted him to stay here, but he knew who he was competiting against, Xavi, Cesc and (Andres) Iniesta, and only two can play.
"Last season was the one in which he had the most minutes and played in more than 50 per cent of the matches, when he wasn't injured. But for the important games I favoured the other three.
"In the end the player went where he wanted to and I wish him all the luck in the world, he deserves it."
Thiago is not the only player to leave the Nou Camp this summer with experienced duo David Villa and Eric Abidal moving to new clubs and a number of fringe players going out on loan.
Barca have been less busy brining new faces into the club, with the only major new arrival being the big-money signing of Neymar.
However, the Catalan giants are still looking to strengthen ahead of the new season and have been linked with a host of names, including Paris St Germain centre-back Thiago Silva.
Vilanova admits he is keen on the Brazil international but says he is not the only defender on their wish list.
"The intention is to bring in a centre-back. Thiago Silva is a player that we wanted to sign some years ago. I'd like to sign him, but he's not the only person we are looking at for that position."
Barca have also been linked with Roma defender Marquinhos, but Zubizarreta insisted they had not put in a bid for the 19-year-old.
Zubizarreta also confirmed Barca would not be looking to sign any more strikers despite the sale of Villa, and said they had set themselves no deadlines for completing their summer transfer dealings.
"There's no set period, up until midnight on August 31 there's time," he said.