Mancini still has title hope

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini insists the title race is not over despite his team's 2-2 home draw with Liverpool.

Last Updated: 04/02/13 at 13:12 Post Comment

The situation could have been worse for City in the Premier League clash at the Etihad on Sunday had Sergio Aguero not scored 12 minutes from time to rescue a point.

"Last year we recovered eight points in six games so I don't know why it can't happen this year," said Mancini.

"They have to play in the FA Cup and the Champions League so the season is long - three months - and we are confident. It is enough to recover three or four points in three games.

"For us it is important to play the derby two or three points behind and we have time to recover these points. We didn't play like we had in the last month but we are confident.

"Two years ago Chelsea were nine points behind and when they went to play at Old Trafford two games from the end they were only two points behind.

"I don't think this is finished but probably now we have to win all the games but if not then 11 or 12 games. But in football this can happen sometimes."

Edin Dzeko put the hosts in front before strikes from Daniel Sturridge and Steven Gerrard turned the game in favour of Liverpool.

Mancini felt aggrieved that play had not stopped in the build-up to Sturridge's goal after Dzeko was challenged by Daniel Agger.

He said: "I think Liverpool played a good game. We conceded two goals, stupid goals for me.

"But before the first goal there was a big foul - if it had happened with us, probably there would have been a red card.

"Instead, the referee and linesman did not see anything. In the end, though, I think it was the right result."

Asked if he felt Liverpool should have put the ball out when Dzeko was left on the turf by Agger, Mancini said: "Probably, because after this foul I think there were several seconds (before the goal).

"I think so, but this can happen. I think it was a foul and should have been a yellow card. The rules are the same for everyone always."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

think all those names linked to United exits make sense. Kagawa has never really looked like hitting the form he had at Dortmund and Fellaini is radioactive after last season (even though I think he's been unfairly singled out for criticism). Nani and Anderson have had more than their fair share of chances so they are done, and Hernandez deserves better than warming a bench.

ted, manchester
The Insecure Gossip

H

e'll be off to Spurs (or better) in January and I don't blame him. Looking forward to re-signing Grant Holt as his replacement though.

notalentjones
Benteke ignoring speculation

I

n fairness, he does look absolutely shattered in that photo.....

FairyNuff
Shaw told to shape up

Footer 365

Premier League: Ross Barkley signs new four-year contract at Everton

Everton midfielder Ross Barkley has signed a new four-year deal with the club.

Transfer News: Southampton's chairman says Jay Rodriguez and Morgan Schneiderlin will stay

Jay Rodriguez and Morgan Schneiderlin will not be sold, according to Southampton chairman Ralph Krueger.

Transfer News: Reported Manchester United target Arturo Vidal 'happy' to stay at Juventus

Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri is convinced Arturo Vidal will remain with the club for the forthcoming season.

Mail Box

Youth Development Has To Be The Future

A varied Mailbox has thoughts on transfer targets, youth development, the obsession over 3-5-2, some innovative Blackpool suggestions and why Real bought Kroos...

Don't You Worry About Southampton...

We can't help but agree with one mailboxer who tries to calm the crisis-mongers gathering around Southampton, while we have mails on Man United's squad...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property