Genoa fined for crowd trouble

The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) have issued significant fines to Serie A club Genoa after angry supporters interrupted a league match to force several players to hand over their shirts last year.

Last Updated: 12/02/13 at 14:55 Post Comment

Genoa: Club fined after supporters interrupted match

Genoa: Club fined after supporters interrupted match

A large group of Genoa fans surrounded the tunnel area at the Stadio Luigi Ferraris on April 22, with the home team losing 4-0 to Siena, threatening to invade the pitch unless they were granted an audience with the players.

Referee Paolo Tagliavento led his team of officials and the Sienese party into the changing rooms but Genoa's players were kept out on the pitch as the group demanded they give up their shirts, with captain Marco Rossi gathering jerseys from all but winger Giuseppe Sculli, who tearfully confronted the supporters.

The FIGC's disciplinary commission today decided to punish the players who relinquished their shirts with 10,000 euro fines while issuing club president Enrico Preziosi with a 30,000 euro fine.

A statement on the federation's official website named Sebastian Frey, Andreas Granqvist, Marco Rossi, Cesare Bovo, Juraj Kucka, Luca Antonelli, Cristobal Jorquera, Miguel Veloso, Jose Eduardo Bischofe, Giandomenico Mesto, Alberto Gilardino, Davide Biondini, Kahka Kaladze, Rodrigo Palacio and Valter Birsa as the players who have been fined.

Genoa have been handed a separate fine of 100,000 euros but players' delegate Francesco Salucci was cleared of any wrongdoing.

Sculli's emotional plea to the supporters proved enough to end a 45-minute suspension in play and the fans were belatedly given something to cheer about when Siena's Cristiano Del Grosso put through his own goal as the match ended 4-1.

Head coach Alberto Malesani was sacked the next day before the Lega Serie A ordered Genoa to play their next two home games behind closed doors, with the club narrowly avoiding relegation at the end of the season.

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

think all those names linked to United exits make sense. Kagawa has never really looked like hitting the form he had at Dortmund and Fellaini is radioactive after last season (even though I think he's been unfairly singled out for criticism). Nani and Anderson have had more than their fair share of chances so they are done, and Hernandez deserves better than warming a bench.

ted, manchester
The Insecure Gossip

H

e'll be off to Spurs (or better) in January and I don't blame him. Looking forward to re-signing Grant Holt as his replacement though.

notalentjones
Benteke ignoring speculation

I

n fairness, he does look absolutely shattered in that photo.....

FairyNuff
Shaw told to shape up

Footer 365

Champions League: John Collins claims Celtic will have to be at best to get past Legia Warsaw

John Collins says Legia Warsaw pose a huge threat to his dream of Champions League football with Celtic this season.

Premier League: Daniel Sturridge confident Liverpool can shine without Luis Suarez

Daniel Sturridge believes Liverpool have the squad to handle Luis Suarez's exit and will challenge for top honours.

Transfer news: Simon Mignolet backs Liverpool target Divock Origi and welcomes Pepe Reina return

Liverpool are closing in on Divock Origi and the Belgium youngster has been tipped to shine in the Premier League.

Mail Box

Don't You Worry About Southampton...

We can't help but agree with one mailboxer who tries to calm the crisis-mongers gathering around Southampton, while we have mails on Man United's squad...

No Wonder Wenger Doesn't Buy British

That's if reports that Calum Chambers cost Arsenal £16m are to be believed. The English premium shows no signs of disappearing. Plus, worrying about poor Southampton...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property