Hughes won't contest FA charge

Stoke boss Mark Hughes has confirmed he will not contest his Football Association charge of improper conduct.

Last Updated: 30/12/13 at 19:09 Post Comment

Mark Hughes: Accepts FA charge

Mark Hughes: Accepts FA charge

The Welshman was sent to the stands during Stoke's 5-1 defeat to Newcastle on Boxing Day after reacting angrily to the sending-off of Glenn Whelan.

Hughes, who is likely to face a fine, has until Thursday to answer the charge but confirmed he will accept it.

He said: "I got pulled up on the fact I kicked a ball onto the pitch. That's a fact, so there's no way around it. I can't really defend that, that's what I did. If that's what the issue is, I'm going to have to hold my hands up."

Whelan's red card was swiftly followed by another for Marc Wilson, and Hughes was highly critical of the performance of referee Martin Atkinson.

Potters chairman Peter Coates said the club would be making an official complaint about Atkinson's display, but Hughes will take his punishment.

Hughes said: "Everybody has their own opinions but you just want performance levels to be at a good level.

"We're all judged on our performances - managers, coaches, players, and referees are judged as well. We just want good performances from everybody involved in the game.

"Over the last couple of days I've looked at certain incidents in some games in comparison to some of the decisions that went against us, and there were anomalies.

"At the moment a number of key moments in games have gone against us so we'd like that to change in the New Year.

"We're going to make representations to certain bodies because I think it's important that we don't just take it lying down. We feel as a club a little bit aggrieved by what we've gone through."

Hughes, meanwhile, was downbeat about the chances of significant additions to his squad arriving in the January transfer window.

A striker is the Stoke boss' priority, but he revealed no deals are close to being done after they were denied a work permit for USA international Juan Agudelo last month.

Hughes said: "There's nothing definite I can say that's in the pipeline for us at the moment. It may be a long window for us. We'd like to think we can do something."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

T

his is brilliant! All these years of moral ambiguity, grey areas of offence and context..now we have a simple, easy to follow guide to right and wrong. What did you do today? I kicked the face off a panda . Oh well, you didn't rape, kill anyone or abuse a minor, knock yourself champ.

megabrow (cufc)
Redknapp leaps to Mackay defence

I

wonder if he'd feel the same way if he wasn't a white, non-jewish heterosexual male. Because Mackay has basically insulted everyone else!

Jay_D
Redknapp leaps to Mackay defence

C

heers Harry. I was wondering if he'd murdered anyone

Ezy_Rider
Redknapp leaps to Mackay defence

Footer 365

Dutch Eredivisie: Ajax v PSV preview

Ajax hope to steal a march on title rivals PSV when the two sides clash at the Amsterdam ArenA on Sunday, live on Sky.

Transfer news: Tottenham turn to Sevilla's Federico Fazio in hunt for new centre-half

Tottenham are interested in signing Argentina international Federico Fazio from Sevilla, according to Sky sources.

Transfer news: Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers silent on Mario Balotelli clause

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is refusing to be drawn on whether Mario Balotelli would have a good behaviour clause.

Mail Box

More Fan Mail For Football365...

'Just p*ss off with your righteous indignation will you. W*nkers.' There's a lot of anger going around for what should have been a sleepy Friday afternoon at F365 Towers...

Man United: One Game To Save Season

They have one match to convince decent players that they are worth joining - over to you, Louis. We also have mails on Malky Mackay, Mario Balotelli and Tim...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property