Anelka awaits FA decision

West Brom's Nicolas Anelka is expected to find out on Tuesday if he will be punished by the FA for his controversial 'quenelle' gesture.

Last Updated: 22/01/14 at 09:52

Nicolas Anelka: Could be banned for a minimum of five games

Nicolas Anelka: Could be banned for a minimum of five games

The striker started for Albion in Monday's 1-1 draw with Everton, just hours after the club's sponsors Zoopla announced they would not be extending their deal due to the striker's actions.

Anelka, who declined to speak to Sky Sports afterwards, has been roundly criticised for making the 'quenelle' gesture - described as anti-Semitic - after scoring against West Ham last month.

If found guilty, the Frenchman will become the first player to be charged by the FA under guidelines introduced to tackle racial discrimination and will face a minimum five-game ban.

Baggies boss Pepe Mel defended his decision to start Anelka against Everton and was happy with the 34-year-old's contribution.

"I spoke with him on Sunday and he said to me that he was ready to play and no more," said Mel. "I have the obligation of thinking in football and what is best for the team."

Piara Powar, the executive director of FARE (Football Against Racism in Europe), said recently: "The rules are clear. It is now a minimum five-match ban for any player involved in things related to race or religion.

"We do a lot of monitoring across Europe and we know about the dangers of the Far Right, who are very active in football across the continent.

"In Germany, it's quite a dangerous term and if we tolerate this then it's just a means of division and going back to almost an era we have seen before and it is dangerous and wrong."

And Powar admits being surprised and disappointed by the lack of an apology from Anelka.

He went on: "Whatever he meant by the gesture, the apology should have been forthcoming immediately.

"The first rule for a player who does something that causes such offence like this is that they should apologise and accept that it might have caused offence. To hide away is just the wrong approach.

"We have also been disappointed to see the delay in the announcement from the FA.

"It feels like it has taken too long really. I don't know why it has taken so long."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

M

aybe Hull charged the Liverpool fans more because their massive sense of entitlement takes up more room? Badum tish.

sailingmagpie
Everton team subsidise awayday

T

he John Carver Experiment sounds like the worst jazz fusion band of all time. Which is saying something.

sailingmagpie
The John Carver Experiment: The Next Episode

T

ime to play Liverpool players in their natural positions? I agree, but surely the subs' bench isn't big enough for all of them?

balls-to-monty
The John Carver Experiment: The Next Episode

Footer 365

Serie A round-up: Roma up to second, Milan receive fastest red card

Roma moved up to second in the table after Lazio were held by Atalanta, while AC Milan played 89 minutes with 10 men.

Ligue 1 round-up: Monaco hammer Toulouse, PSG go top, Lens relegated

Monaco hammered Toulouse to stay third, while PSG regained top spot and Lens' relegation was confirmed.

La Liga round-up: Valencia tighten grip on fourth, Malaga's poor run continues

Valencia eased their way to a 3-1 win at home to Eibar to tighten their grip on the fourth Champions League spot.

Mail Box

Shouldn't We Give Players Time?

Do we really want to throw out the baby with the bathwater every single summer? We also have a Man United fan who wants massive investment. And more...

Liverpool: No Greater Than Aston Villa

It's fair to say that Raúl H. Garcia from the morning mailbox has got something of a kicking on Thursday afternoon. Oh and the Neviller is wrong for once...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company